Sign in to follow this  
witsend

update re sons self harm episode

Hi - meant to post this a few days ago but what with the swimming/OT drama didn't get around to it. I posted recently about my son having an outburst at school during which he alarmed everyone by threatning to self harm. Since then the head reffered him to camhs and when I followed this up they told me one of their 'play therapists' would be writing to us soon with an appt.

When I was talking to the head and sons support teacher about it all I had talked about how playtimes were most stressfull for him and they agreed, I asked them how they could help with this and TBH they were a bit clueless so I asked could there be a quiet place my son could have access to if needed during playtimes and was told "not really, we don't have anywhere". They suggested instead he goes to find support teacher if needed, well I had my doubts about this working in reality, I imagine it's quite hard to get past the welfare staff and then to find the support teacher, who he's not fond of anyway, and then verbalise his feeling to her :unsure: , welll you see what I mean? However I accepted it because I was worn out and didn't see the point in arguing.

The second thing I asked about was some social skills training at school but was told again no, they don't do that and don't have the funding for it. :( So again I felt a bit deflated but said no more.

Anyway after this meeting I more recently had follow up meeting with (new) ed psych and suprise suprise, in our discusssion (just me and him unfortunately) he suggested son should have a quiet place to go to at break times if needed and should have some social skills stuff via school! :lol: (and yes they do get funding for it!!) He also felt a play therapist was perhaps not what would be most helpful for my son or me (yes he actually mentioned me! :o ), which is rather what I thought too. So in short he's contacting camhs and going to talk to head. B)

Feel good that my confidence has boosted a bit now and maybe sometimes I do actually know what I'm talking about after all :rolleyes: . What with this and the OT being so understanding we're on a roll (hope we don't fall off eh? :lol: )

Luv Witsend.

Hi Witsend,

It's great when you finally get someone who is on your side and is willing to fight your corner.

I hope things continue in this positive vein.

K