Sign in to follow this  
madme

Social skills programmes

Ive posted before but cant find the post or answers. Sorry not so computer literate. Son has adhd aspergers and Dyspraxia. Is 10. Currently attends social skills training at school but this appears to be limited to turntaking. While he can do well in the classroom he finds it harder in "real life" Are there any programmmes in this country in or outside school which deal with social skills for young adults/teenagers? I read somehere but cant remember about a young graduate who was receiving a life skills programme. Has anyone heard of this? If there arent any programmes then I want to find out what happens in aother countries and see why we cant get such help over here.

cognitive behaviour therapy may be worth trying

it focuses on things like stress and feelings recognition and relaxation techniques to reduce anxiety

ask your EP or autism advisor/communications team if it is available in your area

Tony Attwood has a lot to say about CBT if you want to look on his site

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.htm

Camhs may have details of groups and therapies - some run their own

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

You may wish to speak to the Speech and Lanuage Therapy service in your area. On our area they organise social skills training. Our two Autistic boys attended Social skills groups, I think they will need more help in this area as they get older.

Simon

I think there are organisations for kids with AS to meet up and practice social skills. I don't know if any are in your part of the country but check with NAS as they are likely to know if one exists nearby.

It took a private SALT report and a battle with the LEA but my son is now receiving this at mainstream school - prior to this we were on 'turn-taking' as social skills.

There is a book and a board game called 'socially speaking' whic would be useful to get hold of for some form of input for your son, at home and at school ... I think LDA make them

Hope this helps

There is a very good resource called 'Talkabout' which has been written by a S&L Therapist.

She is also producing a video on Social Skills which will be due out next Year.

the website to access the info on 'Talkabout' is as follows:-

Talkabout

Hope this helps. My sons school uses it and I also re-inforce using the programme. It is very user friendly.

Best wishes

HelenL

Both resources are very good and if used well can support the development of early social communication skills. I wouldn't use the Talkabout package with KS1 or even lower KS2 children, for those children I have used "Socially Speaking". However, the success of any social communication package is reinforcing the concepts encoutered in both programmes, generalisation is the key and so anything that happens in school also needs to happen in the home.

Edited by slt101