Sign in to follow this  
mandyque

Kleptomaniac!

I have no idea why I am not currently 'helping the police with their enquiries' round about now :police: My dd is going to get me shot, beaten up, arrested and murdered one of these days! :wacko:

<deep breaths>

She was invited to a birthday party in one of these adventure warehouse things. We'd never been to this one before and it was HUGE but there didn't seem to be anywhere much she could get into mischief. Except my darling child seems to be turning into a kleptomaniac I spotted her with a milky bar at one point high up on the equipment but by the time I had caught up with her she had eaten it. Nobody was making a fuss so I sort of 'forgot' about it :oops: Next thing she has gone totally missing, there are 3 of us running around looking for her. I find her in an UNLOCKED staff locker room (why was it unlocked???) and she had gone through someones bag and scattered the contents everywhere! I was mortified! there was cash and bits of all sorts all over the floor. Anyway I grabbed a member of staff, apologised profusely for my wayward criminals behaviour and hustled her back down where she was supposed to be. Then it was time for party food in a tiny room near the front door. Of course because we were heading towards the door she thought we were leaving so she kicked off :fight: Managed to drag her in there and she completely refused to eat anything and managed to escape through someones legs back through the door :wallbash: . By this time I've had ENOUGH! I drag her back in to eat her ice cream, she has a tiny taste of it and that's it. So in the end 3 of us had to carry her to the car. That girl really will be the death of me I swear! :tearful:

You know - I know exactly how you feel. Have had to drag/carry mine back to the car after dreadful parties many times. :wacko:

Count to ten. Then try not to scream. :crying:

Be grateful you are not making a police statement at the moment. :pray:

Thinking about you.

Mum22boys >:D<<'>

Problem is these places are so not autism friendly! Or generally parent friendly in the way they have displays at the front of the snack bar full of sweets and chocolate just in the right place for kids to grab them while embarrassed parents pay up before they get arrested. :rolleyes: As for the staff room, I think there is a lesson to be learned there, if my child could get in there unnoticed who's to say a less honest person might not!

I do try with C, she is non verbal and understands very little so she learns most things by observations and actions, so we regularly go to the shop where she can choose some sweets and I give her money and make her show the assistant what she has got and hand over the coins so that she (hopefully) might get the message that she needs those little shiny bits of metal to swap for what she wants in the shop :hypno: But when there is a display in easy reach and a rather lax staff member who likes chatting and messing around in the back, who's going to blame a child who doesn't understand helping themselves?

But anyway, I persist in taking her to these places in the vain hope of teaching social skills but I'm getting more and more worried we're going to end up in real bother!

I think thats the thing, although it is hard to take our children to some places we as parents feel it is our duty to perservere (not sure that is spelt right!!).

My son has tried several times to literally trash a shop whilst in temper tantrum so i have to hold him very tight. When i release grip to see if I can he goes mad knocking everything off shelves and pushing displays over. I don't stop taking him shopping though! You have to get on with life and unfortunately it is a bit more difficult for us with our children.

I sympathise with you having had a bad day.

Take care >:D<<'>