Sign in to follow this  
lancelot

Help course

Just heard today that we've been offered a place on the NAS Help! course starting Monday in March (the place not the month). Anyone else going? Or was it one of you that pulled out so that we got the place at the last minute (if so, thanks!).

I first heard about this two weeks back; phoned to check if we needed to attend every session (they said yes); went round frantically trying to rearrange schedules, twist DH's arm to get off work and go to some of it, find anyone prepared to attempt to have three kids, one of them not (ahem) very easy, for at least one evening; called back, and was told it was now booked up, and 'these places are very popular, so you do have to be quick off the mark' --- just a leetle bit patronising and lacking in understanding, would you say? Still, if the course is good, I'll forgive them!

What do you bet that: it snows on Monday so I can't get there; or DH now finds urgent work commitments have insinuated themselves back into his diary in the past week?

L

Lancelot

They also can do a one day condensed version of this programme and I have asked NAS to look into doing this in our county as the full course timetable is difficult for a lot of parents. Also the places are limited to only 12.

Ring NAS and ask if they intend doing a one day help! course anywhere near you and if not - perhaps they may like to!

Lancelot,

I went on one of their help problems and was old you need to commit to all sessions, but the reality is that they know that this is not always possible and if you miss one or two they will not be bothered and will give you notes on anything you've missed.

I hope you find it useful.

Tes, what you mentioned is not what I have experienced. I was refused a place at the Help! course due to only being able to do the day time ones (there is no-one who will have my AS son) however much I pleaded and cried on the phone. I argued that I as a single parent with no external support whatsoever needed this more than parents who could both make it to the course as they obviously have some support (each other and someone else to ahve their child/ren) and I have none so my need to understand my son is greater than theirs. All to no avail, the anser was a very rigid 'can't do all, can't come'.

I was very disappointed with that.

I ahve now been invited to a one day course but as I will only be able to attend about half of it, I'm not sure if it is going to be worhtwhile taking yet another day off work and driving 100 miles to get there and back. I did request if my eldest son of 15 could come too, but was refused, whereas he could really use some understanding which would make my life so much easier as well...

I was disappointed with the timings of Help! as well. I have health issues myself and cannot manage evening sessions at all, yet some of the sessions were 6-9pm. I couldn't understand the irregularity of the timings to be honest, and found it hard to imagine how many people would be able to fit in with that.

It's all academic in our case, as without the dx we won't get on the course anyway. Although the nice NAS woman said "Apply, you never know" it's clear that there's such a waiting list for course places in the north east that the vast majority are going to parents of dx'd children and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't stand a chance. The one-day course sounds ideal and I'll definitely be pushing for that.

Karen

x

Hi MIN,

I don't know what was said on the phone to people who said that they couldn't attend all sessions. What I do know is that on the course I was on, most participants found there were one or more sessions that they couldn't attend when they were let down unexpectedly by a babysitter, had an unexpected work committment, were ill etc. The people running the course always accepted this and the notes were there for them the next session that they attended. Infact, we were told at the first session that they understood if we had diffiulties but would appreciate being told before the session if possible to allow them to cater appropriately.