Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

Second opinions

Hi

We've been going through the diagnostic process for AS all this year and will be told at an official dx meeting on Wednesday that there's insufficient evidence to give a concrete diagnosis, and will be advised to wait another year before reapplying for assessment. In the meantime J is rapidly deteriorating and we can't possibly wait another two years to access help and support for his needs.

So... we want a second opinion and have found an autism expert locally who we've been given very positive reports about. She doesn't take self-referrals or from GP, only from the psychiatry teams. I emailed the dept yesterday and was told I should ask our psych team to refer from there. So what's my legal position on this? Are we entitled to a second opinion and can I specify who I'd like to give that opinion? I want to be prepared to fight my case on Wednesday so if anyone has any info on this I'd be grateful.

Ta

Karen

x

Karen, sorry, I forgot to answer your question...

My son's first diagnostic appointment was with his paediatrician (in county), she diagnosed him as being socially immature. I disagreed with her diagnosis during the appointment, I agreed with her that he was socially immature but that this was in addition to the ongoing problems and difficulties that he was experiencing. I reminded her that as the parent I was the expert on my child.

I was furious with her, I was furious with her whole lousy attitude. I left her office, drove home, left my son with a relative and then made my way to my surgery to see if I could talk with my GP, to ask him for a referral somewhere else for a second opinion. He was in the middle of taking surgery but he made time to speak with me. I explained to him why I was so upset. He told me that if I could come up with the name of an appropriate professional to assess my son then he would do all he could to help us.

I later gave my GP the name of a multi-professional team that was qualified to diagnose various learning difficulties. This team was based out of county. In order for my son to be seen by these people, the in- county paediatrician had to give her permission, which she did.

My son?s diagnosis of AS came like a bolt out of the blue, neither my husband nor I had anticipated this diagnosis.

Thanks for that Helen, really helpful.

I'm planning on seeing my GP soon to discuss J's issues - so far all my involvement at surgery level has been with the Health Visitor, to give enough time to discuss things fully, but now I feel it's time for the GP to be brought up to date. Will discuss it with her then.

Karen

x