Sign in to follow this  
ksasnic

Story in the news

School lessons in emotions

Millions of secondary school pupils will be taught how to make friends, express their feelings and manage their anger in a controversial Government scheme to be rolled out nationally, the Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Fifty schools in six local authorities have signed up for the Secondary Social, Emotional and Behaviour Skills pilot, aimed at improving the "emotional literacy" of teenagers.

Under the scheme, pupils will be expected to master more than 100 "feeling" buzz words, ranging from "abandoned" and "afraid", through "embarrassed", "proud", to "surprised" and "worried".

Pupils will also have to judge their skills, and those of their classmates, in five areas: self-awareness, empathy, managing feelings, self-motivation and social interaction.

A Government spokesman said last night that the secondary scheme, to be rolled out in 2007, was vital. "These skills promote positive behaviour and help children to learn," he said.

Children in primary schools are already being given similar lessons in a �10 million initiative, as revealed by this newspaper in March.

My sons primary school are doing a similar nurturing programme, concentrating a lot on emotions, very good programme from what I know of it so far. It has had a small effect on my oldest(ASD) son, as with most areas of ASD its not a no they can't its just something that isn't built in. My youngest is coming along really well with it.

Pupils will also have to judge their skills, and those of their classmates, in five areas: self-awareness, empathy, managing feelings, self-motivation and social interaction.

This bit worries me. :(