Sign in to follow this  
Klou

Seeing the Paediatrician

Hello

It seems like ages since I have posted here. Work has been very busy and also it has been good to take a breather from this too.

But we have a new development. We finally have an appointment with the consultant paediatrician in January. I am really surprised because I still have no report from the psychologist who saw us in July. I have reports from SALT and OT and I had been making noises at various people that it seemed to have all been swept under the carpet and I really hoped it hadn't been because we had heard nothing from the consultant we were referred to in the first place. Anyway I got a funny letter saying the consultant doesn't always see MDA cases unless it is felt necessary and that I should inform our health visitor if something physical had been overlooked. :wacko::wacko::blink:

Anyway despite being very :devil: I didn't get to phoning the HV and had been thinking it was time for assertive letter to the psych department about why a report hadn't materialised four months on. THen last week this appointment comes through for the Dr.

Only thing is I have no idea now why he wants to see him and what I need to be prepared for. I filled in the MDA form just answered the questions and said why we were so worried. The psych I told how bizarre his behaviour was; The SALT I presented with speech and language issues; the OT I gave the list of sensory and physical problems.

But what does the Dr want?

Are we going to get a dx? Will we be sent away and told to leave the poor health professionals alone? Or will we be booked in for a follow up like with SALT and OT in a couple of months time but nothing really achieved?

I still don't know what is going on. I was under the impression the team were writing him a care plan (according to the OT -who has been the most useful person so far!) That hasn't appeared either.

I am alot more bothered about seeing the Dr because it is like our last chance. Prove he has a problem or that is it. I will be able to manage the pressure if I know what to do to prepare for it.

Anyone out there who can explain what happened when they saw the Consultant Paed I will be very grateful.

Hi Klou,

Not sure if it's the same thing but, our community paediatrician took a very detailed

history of our son, referred him for developmental assessments, then saw him

two more times, then put his name forward at the multi agency team meeting,

then came back to us with the dx.

Sorry if this is different to what yours is doing but, it seems that there is different

procedures depending on where you live.

Brook :)

Guest hallyscomet

Hi, :)

From my experience the Paediatrician observed my son for about twenty minutes, then asked me loads of questions to which I remember I had tears in my eyes, as I felt finally, after the merry-go-round of therapists someone is going to really tell me what is wrong with my son. He was able to tell me a lot at this consultation so if you can take your partner or someone close for support. He may also do more assessments but may be able to give you a diagnosis on the spot, and any further assessments your child has will basically fill in any blanks. Assessments are essential, any reports you have about your child in anything they have done will be of help take them with you. This is a journey and you know you can come here if ever you need some support. >:D<<'> :pray:

Lets us know how you go, speak with you soon :wub:

Hailey :)

the consultant will want to know all the various aspects of your child, this is usually the person who pulls all the bits together to give (or not give) diagnosis.

I wrote a history of Com for consultants. It was divided into sections

developmental (milestones, quirks and behaviours), medical and educational, you could also do social.

this is useful to have anyway for all sorts of things an I try to update it from time to time

you don't necessarily have to give this to the consultant, although ours appreciated it, but it gives you a list of things to talk about and makes sure you don't forget important bits if you get flustered

consultants often like to see a child more than once before making a diagnosis so don't expect to get anywhere straight away (you may be lucky with all the other people who have seen him passing the consultant their information but usually it takes a couple of visits at least).

good luck wih it all

Zemanski

We've done things in reverse order to you seeing the paediatrician first and him then getting ST, OT and preschool team involved. We first saw the paediatrician when DS was 2.5yrs old. We had an hour long appointment in which he talked to us about DS's history and then spent 10-15mins playing and assessing him. I wrote a lot of it down in the subheadings of the various autistic impairments plus his developmetnal milestones which was useful. As DS was so young then we were told he could have ASD but that things might change over the next couple of years so weren't given a diagnosis. However we were (eventually!) given help based upon DS's areas of needs. We've now reached the point where we would like to go down the diagnostic pathway and are going to discuss that at our appointment today.

Not sure how things work where you are but here the paediatrician coordinates everything and puts it all together so maybe that's why you've been referred. Only a doctor or psychologist can make a diagnosis of ASD and certainly here the psychologists are reluctant to do it on their own without the input of a doctor (paediatrician or child psychiatrist for older kids).

HTH and good luck

Lx

Thanks everyone who has shared their experiences. All very helpful.

I have started the history thing organised into age then more recently categories of behaviour. So I will read that again and update it.

My husband is hoping to come as well so the support should be there.

What you've said about pulling things together would make sense but I;ll be realistic about the chance of any definite dx.

Thanks again.