Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

We have an anger management therapist

Turns out the phsycologist we were seeing this morning is giving M therapy to deal with his anger management problems.

We have a visual chart which we have to tick off whenever M uses strategies to prevent meltdowns and I've been given a few things to watch out for too. M promised to do his best so we'll put the chart in a prominent position and see what happens.

Wouldn't it be lovely to have a house without broken chairs and smashed doors! :D

Daisy

Wouldn't it be lovely to have a house without broken chairs and smashed doors! :D

Yes!!!!!!!

We've just started using something similar, a sort of part time ABA and ABC.

Good luck with your programme.

Lauren

Guest flutter

would be great, but it not furniture that gets most of the pasting in this house

tis me :huh:

how does it work?

Well, as the CCP explained it's pretty basic, but he reckons very effective. :D

You write out a chart with all the days of the week on and then columns going down with various headings in as to how your child will agree to manage their anger. I guess it varies depending on their age or the nature of the anger.

M's say things like:

1. I will walk away from a situation which makes me angry

2. I will try to keep calm

3. I will (oh, can't remember the rest but you get the idea)

The headings are agreed between the CCP and the child and the chart is put in a prominent place. When the child uses one of these anger management techniques instead of losing his temper he ticks the chart.

The chart then goes back with him on his next visit to his CCP to see whether it is working.

There are some blank columns on which I think means if Martin himself thinks up other techniques he can add them to it. Well, we've got it right over the Christmas period so we'll see how it goes! :unsure:

Daisy

Its basically sounds along the lines of what I have worked on with my son (little success) but very successfully with some other children, kids on the spectrum have no grey area, moods are either black or white, angry or happy, without anything in the middle, so its about getting them to realise their own moods and manage them themselves. Wish you the very best of luck with this, I really hope it works for you and M. :pray:

Edited by lil_me