Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

Filling out DLA form

I have a lady coming tomorrow to help me fill out section 2 of the dreaded DLA form. She has asked me to fill in section 1 before she arrives so it can go off asap. I am stuck with who to put down to 'tell them about the childs illness or disability'. He has been seen by CAMHS but I found the psychologist very difficult to deal with and she wouldn't commit herself to anything. He has also been seen by SALT when he shut down all communication with her so she has seen him for what he is. Her report shows this. Do I need to contact her first if i put her name down (she is only in the clinic twice a week).

I am also insure of who to sign it who knows the child well. I assume it is better to get someone other than family. I have asked a friend of mine who knows M well, she is also a nurse. She admitted to me she thought there was something wrong with M whilst other friends thought I was mad. Am I ok with getting her to sign or should I ask some other professional?

I can't believe I am already stuck and I haven't even started yet!!!!!

Hi, if I were you I would put down the name of the psycologist who has seen him as there is a place to put down the speech therapist somewhere else if I remember rightly. Allso this can be mentioned in the communication part of form 2. When I sent off my forms I sent them together. I also included reports off school one that I had asked them to write for the psycologist. It went something like this,"***** has problems and needs 24 hour supervision. He also self harms when stressed and is a danger to himself and others" It was signed by his class teacher and senco so they the dwp didnt even contact the school. I also included photocopies of speech therapy reports and statementing reports and highlighted the bits I wanted them to take notice of. As for the doctor I made sure we went and had a moan so there would be some recent documentation in his GP notes.

The nurse sounds like a good person to put down and state that she is a qualified nurse and also a good friend. Include a photo of your child and maybe anything like if he stashes paper in his room etc. It makes the child real. I dont know what they must have thought when they recieved a huge package throught the post. It might have cost me money to send it by recorded delivery but it was well worth it. They didnt even bother to contact anyone at all regarding my son and he hadnt even got his diagnosis then. We had a reply within 9 days and he was awarded middle rate care and lower mobility for three years. I wish you the best of luck and remember to think of the worst day you have ever had before filling it in.

Dont forget your paracetamol for the headache afterwards

:wacko:

Clair :D

For "someone who knows the child well" I asked a close friend who had known L for 8 years and looked after her when she was at her worst. (We got DLA so it must have been OK) I'm sure your friend is the ideal person to ask.

It looks daunting but take your time, you'll get through it. >:D<<'>

For professional I would choose the person who has written the most frank asessment of your childs difficulties. Brutal I know, but the object of the exercise is to prove your child is harder to look after than other children, not provide a balanced asessment.

Your friend who is a Nurse sounds ideal for the person whoo knows your child well.

Remember you are looking to show how much extra time your child takes to look after, so think of your child at their absolute worst and fill in the form as if every day was like that. The form is read by bean-counters not health professionals so the outcome will depend as much on the number of minutes totted up as it does on any doagnosis you may have.

It's not pleasant to do, but the extramoney can make all the difference.

Good luck!

Simon

I photocopied the form for comments from another party, gave it to three lots of people and used the one most true to my son.

Lauren

I found the DLA form for my son (9 yr old with AS) a complete nightmare and i had it for over 4 weeks and just managed to get it sent 2 days before cut off date (which is 2day)

I took advice from here and scanned all the pages into the computer and i also realise that the 1st time i may get turned down :angry:

Good luck to you all :pray:

Luv

Julie xxx