Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

How can I support my child...

Now I have a confirmed diagnosis of Asperger's for my son (eight), one hot off the press today.

One comes from a private psychologist back in March, saying he needs a Statement - he's highly intelligent (gifted) but barely able to write legibly. The second comes from the NHS team, who say he's coping OK at school.

My son's anxiety levels are practically crippling him. All I want to do is support him, but with such conflicting reports I don't know what to do. How can they be so different? It seems so unfair to my son.

I guess it depends on what triggers your son but maybe things like a time table to warn him about events and changes, relaxation through a fav toy (may become obsessed though), getting him invlved in planning the day / activities so he knows what to expect. Learning a method like counting to 10 when stressed to give the brain a chance to catch up and after reaching ten getting him to say "mummy/daddy/whoever I dont like... or I want..." and so on. I think its a case of finding what is best for him AND you.

Good luck