Sign in to follow this  
nix

Funding for statement

I have just received the amended statement which is still extremely woolly but they have increased the funding to 10182 which is the equivelent to 18 units. Does anyone know what these units mean and is it enough for full time 1:1 throughout the whole school day ? Thankyou.

In out LEA 1 unit equate to about an hours 1:1so 18 unit would be about 18 hours.

The statement is NOT acceptable in it's current form as all it (presumably) says it that the head of thew school will get an allocation of money. Unless it says full-time 1:1 your head could choose to spend the money on anything related to SEN, I have seen it happen!

If your child needs full time 1:1 support then you should hold out for full-time 1:1 support that is described as exactly that. You should also insist that ALL staff (teachers and LSA support) who deal with your child should have training in dealing woith children with Autistic Spectrum diorders.

Recent guidance to LEA's makes it clear that support should be itemised and specific. The number of financial units involved is a matter between the head and the LEA, not an issue between you and the LEA.

Good luck!

Simon

The monetory value of units can go down. This is not specific enough and you need clarifiction, it is not for you to worry about funding thats schools responsibility. You need to know what is being put into the statment as per your childs needs. It is confusing though isnt it?

I am in bradford lea but attends school in leeds. They will not put 1:1 so I thought full time adult support throughout the whole school day by trained and experienced adult in the needs of xx . Do you think that sounds ok ? They will not put one to one because they say it is detremental to x as it will make him dependent on that person.

They cannot refuse to put 1:1, and they are using the dependant hook as an emotional blackmail point. T has full 1:1 this actually increases his independence, because without it he could not access most of what he does without having a meltdown or extreme anxious episode, also he needs the guidance of someone who can listen when he can't etc etc ... have a look at my bloggy as it has a copy of T's draft statement, which will give you an idea of a better but still not brilliant one, don't let any LEA bully you ... have you asked for the LEA's assessment criteria?

HHxx

What is serco ? It was easy to get placement because his elder brother attends this school and we are intending to move to the area. Thankyou for that I will look the statement up >:D<<'>

Sorry nix been at work, try this link and it should take you straight to the draft statement on my blog ...

http://www.asdfriendly.org/blogs/hectorshouse/?p=18

I'm not sure what serco is but senco is special education needs co-ordinator every school has to have have one, or a responsible person for special education ... have you spoke to yours and what do they suggest?

HHxx

Thankyou very much for that HH is that the final statement ? Did you get it specified and quantified after this or did you not need to ? Thankyou so much.

Nix, this is a copy of the draft, I had to finalise it at that stage as I was moving counties, it is not as specified as I would like it, but it is loads better than the original one, which was about as much use as a chocolate teapot and only for 15 hours a week LSA support, with so much vagueness in it.

This one is clearer and has a lot more information in it, it has meant that when I moved county T was able to stay at the top level of support and now has tranport as well. Although from reading T's statement it is still questionable whether his needs could be met in a mainstream environment, but at the moment we are lucky enough to have found one that has ooddles of ASD knowledge and experience.

The need to specify and quantify is highly dependent upon the school and/or what stage of education your at, T's last school were so unbelievable cr*p which caused so many problems, this is why we went through reassessment and pushed for a better statement. Having said that though I would like some of it more quantified and there are things that I will be bringing up in his AR in January ... in effect then this is still a working document to be amended accordingly ... watch this space. But having the top level of support means that T has had far better access to education than he ever did before ...

HHxx

Sorry IF IT WASNT CLEAR. Bradford lea was so bad they get a private company into run education, its called serco.