Sign in to follow this  
ceecee

Shocked

Just though I'd run this by you all to see what everyone elses thoughts were.

I went to a small village primary school with only 12 girls in the class.Over the years I have found out so far that three of the twelve girls in the class have a child with A.S. and then there is obviously myself whose daughter had autistic encephalitus and has mild A.S. herself.

I can't get this out of my mind.It just seems to me an extremely high percentage.After all it's a third of the girls in that class, could be more I guess that's just the ones I know.

I wondered what others thoughts were on this, is it just a coincidence or what.I find it a bit unnerving if i am entirely honest. :(

I only found out about another one yesterday so still feeling a bit shell shocked :(

Edited by ceecee

Assuming you didn't grow up in Camelford(?) or the site of another chemical spill, or that everyone in the village was related, it does seem very odd. Also assuming that you have all moved away from the area and that it's not down to a particularly astute GP.

Statistically AS is said to affect 1 in 110 kids these days, but the distribution is still seen as random. This means that there will be occasional clumps of cases in one area, and none in another. Rather than worry about it, feel sorry for the poor benighted areas where they have yet to know the joys of an AS child. ;)

nemo

No I didnt grow up near a chemical spillage, neither was everyone in the village related!!!But the three girls in question and their A>S> sons and daughter do still live in the same village so perhaps they all have the same g.p who is very knowledgable about A.S>. I don't know if this is the case because I only heard their cases through other people.I would guess it's just a bit of a bizarre coincidence :unsure:

Weird, yes, but could well be just coincidence. I went to a 120-pupil village school which at one point boasted 13 sets of twins -- over a fifth of the kids there were twins (and no, not all of the parents had married their first cousins...). The church choir was ever so symmetrical!

if i found that out it wouldnt surprise me cause i live next to sellafield :P

That'll account for the three testicles, then... There's gotta be something uncomfortable going on for santa to keep jiggling about like that ;)

That'll account for the three testicles, then... There's gotta be something uncomfortable going on for santa to keep jiggling about like that ;)

:lol: i glow in the dark too BD :ninja:

Do you live downwind of a power station or next to a crematorium?

There was a study of the schol population of Texas released recently which found an association between autism and the amout of environmental toxins.

There are difinite clusters - Brick Township in New Jersey is one, and the Amish community is almost entirely autism free.

Jaded

No I didn't live near either.To be honest it is most likely coincidence.In my case I would strongly suspect genetics is responisble but obviously because i went to school a long long time ago, I am no longer in contact with these people and have heard through a friend of a friend so I don't know if theirs is down to genetics or not.