Sign in to follow this  
Suze

Library visit.

I go to the library every week my dd joins me but my AS son has never come along.Well today he amazed me and joined us.He spent half an hour trawling the transport section for something relating to Tractors, then he discovered they have a dvd section and lost himself in there :rolleyes: .Eventually we had what we needed and they were both happy.Daughter had an armful of pony books and son had a dvd on farming and agriculture.Daughter handed over her books and library card , then ds hands over his dvd , then the librarian begins to talk to him :o ..........(now he never strikes up a conversation himself, and when a stranger talks to him he usually looks away and ignores them so I was really shocked when he spoke.)........................"oh she says, is this your video"....................."hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm, actually it,s called a dvd"........"yes of course it is".................."it looks interesting"......................."yes it is very interesting, it,s a detailed look at farm machinery and agricultural techniques".........."oh"..........."it features a Deutz Vahr Agrotron they are made in Germany, Fendts are my favourite though, the Rolls Royce of tractors.................................it went on :rolleyes: ............................................and on :rolleyes: .............eventually prised him away :lol: ,

:lol: fantastic you never know he may wont to go again then. Just hope he will give back the dvd when it's time

How sweet, his first obsession :wub::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just you wait, it'll soon be :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Trying to stop Ben talking golf is like trying to stop the weather!

Tractors, though... just HOW many DVD's can there be about tractors???

:D

BD

Hi, if your son gets DLA he is entitled to get the vidoes and dvds + computer cdroms without charge. Your library may claim not to know this but you can. great that he went though, hope he enjoys the dvd! Love Kat

Hi, if your son gets DLA he is entitled to get the vidoes and dvds + computer cdroms without charge. Your library may claim not to know this but you can. great that he went though, hope he enjoys the dvd! Love Kat

Is that so. Do thay have an age limit on this. Do you need a special card. I bet my library dosent know this. Do's this apply to SDA

LOL! are you going to be able to watch the telly - or are you going to have a staple diet of tractors? :lol:

I was told about this some time ago, but when I asked at my local library they didn't do it. She said she woudl find out about it though. Recently they have started doing it - it is called ACCESS. It is really intended for children/people who have trouble reading - but AS/asd was fine. I didn't need to show any proof of dx/dla. She just altered what category his card is via the computer. We can get two CD's/PS games/DVDs or videos free-of-charge. There is only a limit as in a 12 year old child cannot take out an 18 rated game, etc. The kids think it is wonderful - R boasts that he can get the free things, but his (NT) Twin brother can't - lol!

Karen

Cool I,ll ask about that when we go next saturday, Badad you,d be surprised how many tractor boffins there are out there.There are two such chaps called Steven and Johnathan who have produced a "tractor spotting "library of dvd,s, which complies of driving round the country spotting tractors and filming them.They,ve done about 8 to date :rolleyes: , and we have them all.He,s been obsessed with them since he could walk and he,s 10 now.We were just amazed he found this dvd at the library that he,d never seen before.And yes he watched it 3 times yesterday :devil: .

Kazzen161. If you look on www.hants.net and search very, very carefully you will see in letters about 0.5mm high this info. It has been so for some time regardless of what the library say. A lady I know who is a librarian and works in the library only found this out by chance a little while ago and her disabled son is 19!!! So I am on a one woman crusade to get all the children I deal with to go to the library!!!

I think this is a country wide policy as everybody has a right to free access to the library but obviously not all are able to use the printed word. The first that comes to mind are those who are visually impaired but any other disability comes in as well. Think DDA act now!! There is no age limit the free access just goes up the age ladder with your child as he grows. Worth it though as you can check out dvds before making expensive mistakes. Love kat