Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Families

Mildly annoyed at mine tonight - they're so ###### insensitive sometimes! Sis, BIL and family, younger sis and parents had dinner my parents tonight so were all there when I went to drop the kids off (they're staying over so I can do the 5am airport run with my hubby). anyways, they're talking about where to go on holiday this year as they want everyone to go together.

I said that holidays for us depend on money, and we're also not sure how Logan would cope with it. Elder sis asks what I mean, so I say just that, its a lot of disruption for him. Then she pipes up that he's only two and a half, and she's been on holiday with her young kids, and I'm like yes, but they aren't autistic and again she said he's only 2.5. I pointed out that when she took here kids out to dinner age 2.5 they didn't not sleep or eat for the next three days/nights. Plus hers could walk and talk by that age too!

It just really irks me that they're sympathetic because they know Logan is autistic, but aren't really making the effort to find out what that actually means for him and for us

Not including my parents in this - my Mum can make really stupid comments but they're not out of ignorance iyswim.

Just needed a little rant!

Lynne x

Hi there

Totally understand what you are going through. I have just had my family here for a week from South Africa, they have not seen my As son in 2years and how things have changed in those 2 years. My father inlaw does not really understand autism and when my AS son (11) had almighty meltdown infront of them he just thought that he was a naughty child, he did not understand that his routine had been interrupted and he just could not cope with all the change and noise in the house. Its a shame, the comments are what makes me cross, best for them to keep quiet. Like thumper says in bambi "If you have nothing good to say don't say nothing at all"

Best of luck

Hi Lynne, I know how you feel, I'm sure most of us on here do! My Dads never really got it and my sister who is lovely and has made the effort to understand gets it in an academic sort of way but not in a day to day practical sort of way if you know what i mean?? I think it often comes back to that old if you can't see the disabilty it doesn't really exist or can't be that bad kind of thing. :huh:

We experiance this time and again from the so called professionals. I'm pretty convinced now that the only people who really understand are those who live with it! That's us I suppose! Thank God for tyhis site then eh?

Take care

Luv Witsend.

Guest hallyscomet

Yes I am sure we can all say we have been through this >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> when non one else understands, this is the place to be.

Take care >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Regards

Hailey

Im with you on this.My mum,dad,sister brother inlaw.None of them get it.

Its like banging youre head against a brick wall.

What gets me mad is when they say to me what have you to be stressed about :wallbash::wallbash:

Youre left lost for words.I just wish my family were too.