Mozart and the Whale

http://www.mozartandthewhale.com/

Mozart and the Whale (2005)

Directed by

Petter N?ss

Writing credits (WGA)

Ronald Bass (written by)

Genre: Comedy / Drama / Romance (more)

Tagline: They don't fit in. Except together.

Plot Outline: A love story between two savants with Asperger's syndrome, a kind of autism, whose disabilites sabotage their budding relationship.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0392465/

My dh discovered this last night and we were thinking of seeing it - has anyone heard/seen it?

Hello OPooh,

I mention on my own forum regarding this film, worried at one point that AS would be flavour of the month due to how we are seen if we have a special talent on which we focus.

Mozart and the Whale a film about the lives of two people who have Asperger syndrome, the film is loosely based on the lives of Jerry Newport and Mary Meinel who both have AS Jerry, uses another forum which I frequent he is much respected. This film is set to do for asperger syndrome, what the rainman did for autism, I feel this film will bring lots of awareness of asperger syndrome throwing it into the public eye while at the same time bringing it under closer scrutiny, I really hope it shows a fair representation of asperger/savant syndrome and that it will not just focus on the talents that sometimes come with this disorder I myself am fasinated by numbers and for many years thought this was the case for most people, only to find out it not so. The film Directed by Petter Naess, stars Josh Hartnett (Donald) and Radha Mitchell (Isabelle)

Jerry is a maths savant, Mary is a savant artist she paints using boths hands at once, Jerry speaks and states he does feel it is a fair representation of asperger/savant syndrome as their views were taken on board while the film was made which after all is looosely based on the lives of these two autistic savants here is a quote of Jerry's regarding his love for Mary

"She's the kite and I'm the anchor. I didn't know how to hope, and all she could do was hope. ... I wake up and I feel like I?ve won the lottery and I didn?t even buy a ticket"

Jerry Newport.

If you wish to read more about the connection of asperger and savant syndrome check out the link below to my own site, the information placed there on Savant Syndrome was given to me to use on my page by Dr Darold Treffert who is the world?s leading expert on the autistic savant syndrome.

http://www.colour-se7en.co.uk/asperger.htm

Steve..

Edited by Steve_colour-se7en

Jerry is a member on the WP forum and he has said it hasn't found a distributer as yet,I would think most people have seen it via illegal means.

Not my kind of thing but it should create more awareness of AS in adults.

Oh ok and thanks.

Do you mind if I add your link to my special needs board in my forum please?

Hello Opooh,

I do not mind at all, hope you found it of interest.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

It must've been released as it's available on one of the illegal download sites I accidentally came across. It looks like a good film.

Malc

You accidently came across? :huh:

Crikey, it's been ages since I've posted.

Hello Opooh,

I do not mind at all, hope you found it of interest.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

yes I did - thank you :)

It must've been released as it's available on one of the illegal download sites I accidentally came across. It looks like a good film.

Malc

Jerry is a member on the WP forum and he has said it hasn't found a distributer as yet,I would think most people have seen it via illegal means.

Here's the latest thread on whats going on with ti:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.html?n...&t=9578&start=0