Sign in to follow this  
Bullet

Does this theory sound right?

I would like opinions please on a theory I have regarding an aspect of my childhood. I have always found it very difficult to express myself, to sustain a conversation and to let people know how I was feeling. I did not make a proper friend until I was in my late twenties and that was because I "spoke" to her on the internet first. I mean, I've had people I've got on with, but always on the level of "work colleagues".

Ok, here's my theory. When I was about eight I asked my parents if I could go on a Brownie camp trip. They said yes, no problems. About two hours before the coach was due to go I asked my dad if I should start packing. He then told me I was not going. There were no explanations, I had not misbehaved and had had no warning that I was aware of. I was devastated inside, but I did not display any emotion. It was as though I felt very detached and whilst I was upset I couldn't express it. I am wondering if my dad had deliberately used this way of telling me to see if he could get a reaction from me?

If your dad is a very unkind man, then this is possible. If he's nice, then I don't think he would have done this.

The only person who could tell you for sure is your dad.

Edited by Tally

This sounds an unkind thing to do to an eight year old child.I would advise you to ask your dad about it if at all possible. :(

The other thing i would say it is fairly common for people with a.s. to have very few friends.Some don't seem to want or need them in the same way as others.Some would like them but struggle to make them.

What people with a.s. love to do like you said is they often prefer to have online friends.I think it is because they feel more comfortable and if they need time on their own pursuing their various interests, then they can do that.They can control how much time they give or don't give.Also they don't have to worry about when to speak what to say etc.they have time to think about what they want to say etc.

Hope this makes sense. :unsure:

From a psychology point of view I'd say that carrying these thoughts with you into adult life means it hurt and upset you a lot. I think maybe you need to sit and talk to your dad and find out why.

I asked him and he said he didn't think I would have been able to cope with the camp trip, which is why he said "no". He hasn't said why he told me at the last minute and I doubt he even remembers why now. I do know that he was concerned about my social interaction, my responses to things and my talking quickly so it would fit in with him trying to provoke a stereotypically normal reaction from me with it.

I don't think about it, it's just I'm trying to make sense of my childhood and the way I am now before taking the step of seeing if I can get myself assessed.

dident quite understand the theroy but offten i am unable to express myself

if i am sad i get depressed and if i am happy (not very often) i am hyper