Sign in to follow this  
melly

lack of protein

My son is 3 n a bit.

He has been on the whole gf/cf diet for 4months now, (inc no aspartame and msg). We have tried playing around with it a bit, but are very unsure of how to properly record it, so am now waiting for a dietician referal to get some assistance.

Which brings me to my main point, I am worried about the lack of protein in his diet, the restrictive diet plus his own restrictions means very little protein gets through his lips.

We are waiting, and waiting and waiting to see this dietician. But i wondered if any one has had this problem and what you've done about it

Thanks

Melly

Have you been keeping a food and behaviour diary? They really help in working things out. Just write down what has been eaten and any noticeable behaviour. Lack of calcium is something to be aware of. The rice milk we used is fortified with it.

So what is the difficulty with protein? Is he not eating meat because of the texture, or something else?

I keep trying to do a food diet - I have no stamina for these things tho! I will start again for our dieticians referal otherwise I can see the first appt being a complete waste of time!

As for protein, he will only eat processed foods - chicken nuggets, fish fingers, sausages and burgers. The only home made thing he will eat is the burgers. Its not too bad a list I know, but he'll only get one of the above once a day, and if for another reason he decides not to eat thats it!

Rice milk, soya milk of all makes and styles have been systematically rejected as well!

Could you sneak some almonds into his diet? Maybe grind them up and mix them into something he will eat. They're got quite a good protein content, as well as other minerals and I think vitamin E. You can also make a milk substitute from them apparently by mixing ground almonds with boiling water and then straining them. Medieval cooks used it as dairy milk was not reliable. I wouldn't say you could pass it off as a drink, but it could be used as a base for sauces.

As well as the other suggestions, you could try using a protein powder that is easy to digest whey protein is very good and has so little casein in it and is tolerated by many dairy intolerant people or there is pea protein, hemp protein very good and rice protein, just add it to something he likes leg fruit smoothie.

My best kitchen gadget ever has been a mini food processor which I bought for ?5 at a baby sale. It sits out permanently. What goes into a pasta sauce that my kids don't know...

The only way I have found so far of hiding food is in the burgers. We brought one of those burger maker gadgets which squashes the burgers to look like shop brought ones!

I got a copy of the dietician referal this morning, so at least I know thats going thro as well.