jlp

And some more advice - I should really go to bed!

I requested these from G's school about a week before Christmas, changed schools due to a bit of a crisis and he started a new school in January.

Do the old school still have to comply with my written request for records? They're being as awkward as possible. Or will I have to request them again from the new school? Would prefer them from the old one as I've already upset them :whistle:

Found this, might help

Your child?s school file is a valuable way of finding out what has been going on in class. Ideally it should contain copies of reports, which have already been sent home, results of classroom tests, which are carried out from time-to-time in school life, and copies of any complaints parents have made together with action taken.

However, record keeping varies greatly from school to school. Some schools simply keep copies of test results and reports while others include far more information.

The DfES makes it clear that state school parents have a right to a copy of their child?s school record if they put a request in writing to see it and on payment of photocopying costs. It is illegal for parents to be told that there are conditions to meet before they get a copy of it. The school cannot insist that parents attend a meeting to receive it.

The record must be supplied within 15 days, not including weekends and holidays.

If the record is inaccurate it must be amended by removing or correcting the inaccurate part. If the school disagrees, the original letter from the parents must be put onto the file and treated as part of the record. In certain circumstances a pupil or his parents can appeal to a court under the Data Protection Act 1998 to have educational records destroyed or amended.

If a child transfers to another school, including an independent school or college, their record must be automatically transferred.

However, there are some records which parents are not allowed to see.

These include:

A teacher?s record kept solely for the teacher?s personal use;

When the records would disclose information about another pupil;

When the holder believes that disclosure would be likely to cause serious harm to the physical, mental or emotional health of the pupil in question, or any other person;

Where the holder believes the record is relevant to whether the pupil is, or has been, a victim of child abuse or many be at risk of it.

We asked to see J's file - it was so big that the school invited us to come in and look and then photocopy anything we wanted ... although J is still at the school so it's not the same as your situation.

Are you on good terms with the old school - could you ask to go in and look?

Ask the new school if they have received your sons file from the old school, if they have put it in writing that you would like to see it under the data protection act. If the old school still has it and you have written to them telephone them and ask why you have not been given a copy or access to the childs file.

You can do the same with the LEA records it amazing what they have on your child!

Jen