Canopus

Rewarding somebody with exams

This is a hypothetical situation.

A certain kid attends a privately owned SEN school and is in Y8. He is excellent at maths and knows almost as much about astronomy as Patrick Moore does. However, the same kid struggles with English and history and is underperforming in both subjects. The headmaster is very unhappy about this and has difficulty understanding why someone is a genius in some areas but does badly in others. He strikes a deal with the kid that he will enter him in for the maths and astronomy GCSE at the end of Y8 providing he improves his performance in English and history. The exact improvements required are not clearly defined. No extra help will be given in English and history because the headmaster thinks the kid should "pull his socks up" and put in more effort. If the improvements in English and history aren't to the headmaster's satisfaction then he won't enter the kid in for the maths and astronomy GCSE.

What would your reaction be to this if it was your own kid?

I think that similar rewarding situations have taken place in privately owned SEN schools in the past.

My daughter has AS so I can only go from that perspective.

This wouldn't work with my daughter and frankly could cause the exact opposite - that she would become so anxious and stressed it would have knock on effects. No child can be expected to be brilliant in everything just because they have a special talent in a certain subject - that talent should be encouraged in it's own merit and I would be saying this to the headmaster.

Although you could say it's a reward - it's not really - especially if they really tried but still had terrible difficulties with the subjects they are not as good with - it would then be a punishment - and what for - for being a genius in certain subjects.

Don't agree with this - but then maybe it works for some.

I don't agree - surely the child should have the right to sit the exam if they show aptitude, regardless of what's going on elsewhere, otherwise it could work as a punishment as much as a reward.

Surely the uneven profile is indicative of someone that needs support, not shoddy treatment?

Sorry - my AS son has areas of brilliance, too, as well as areas of huge deficit, so I feel quite strongly about this.

What would your reaction be to this if it was your own kid?

:wallbash:

To the head :fight::fight::fight:

... and then set them straight about what does and doesn't work with ASD children. :)

There are many people who hold the attitude "you do your work then you will get your reward". Lets assume the school has only let kids in Y11 take the maths GCSE and has never let anyone take the astronomy GCSE because it isn't an official taught subject.

I'm sorry, but I would be fuming. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses in different areas. It is ludicrous to presume that because a person is very good at one particular field, then they must be good at everything. For example I am very good at anything involving memory or writing, but fall to pieces if I have to use my hands or picture something in my mind.