Sign in to follow this  
Jason6404

AS and eating problems

I was curious to know if AS caused eating problems, I think that there is a relation because I've had eating problems all my life. I currently suffer from bulimia wich has gone on for 5 years. I strongly beleive that it's cause of my AS, I'm intolerant to at least half of all foods.

Hmmmmm, I have AS and eating disorders but I have never made that connection.

Perhaps there could be some connection and I just wouldunt know about it since I knew of my eating disorders some 6 years before I knew of my AS.

If I do have Aspergers, then it might be tied in with my eating habits. I don't have much of a sense of hunger, I only eat now in the day to set an example to my Ds1, but I rarely feel hungry. I also hate eating in public, like eating in the street. If it's somewhere like a restaurant or cafe or a house it's fine, but don't like to be eating somewhere in the open. If I have to I feel really self conscious.

eating disorders obsessions and sensitivities to food seem to be part of asd, professor gillberg says osome kind of food obsession almost always occurs with asd, I had an eating disorder as a teenager that then became an obsession with healthy food when I became vegetarian because I didn't want to cause suffering to animals after seeing a documentary on TV.

My interest iin healthy food is now my obsessional interest, and I have now doubt some would say it was an eating disorder, but it helps me, I also think that in my case and maybe others I have sensory problems and in the beginning i had no ability to regulate my food and would eat until ifelt sick because there was no appetite regulation and I learnt to control that with facts on nutritional content of food, and eating everything purely for vitamins mineral protein and other things and not pleasure, eating is not pleasurable for me, it is like the switch for appetite doesn't work and would also binge on anything with wheat in it at the time I didn't understand why, and feel so ill but I think it was probably a sensitivity and addiction to wheat.

My problems with food in my teens and twenties prompted me to go for counselling, it was a control thing and very obsessional.I knew the calorific value of all foods.Exercised for 2 hrs a day and weighed my self all the time.It was a horrid place to be.I still have issues now it,s hard to control.My son has ASD and I can relate to alot of his problems in my past.

M is obsessional about his food, it governs his day, from the minute he gets up he plans his meals and will only eat certain things on fixed days and woe betide me if its wrong he has the mother of all meltdowns.