Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

suitable bike for 4 year old wanted

hi guys

just wondered if you had any advice on bike riding ect.....

my 4 year old has a small bike with stabilisers,but can not ride it and gets so upset about it and wont let me help or show him,

my 3 year old has a little trike [plastic] but my 4 year old is now too big for this,

i remember when i was young girl i had a proper trike bike which i loved -i didnt learn to ride proper bike till i was 10. wondered if they still do these?

my 4 year old is very embaressed about the bike problem and desperatley wants to try although it all ends in tears and he cant join in and play with his brother.

any advice? :D

How about a go-cart?

My son has the same problems with his bike, he can ride it with stablisers, but is very wobbly. I've seen some fantastic ones in a toy shop near us (i'm guessing they'll be one near you...... :D It's well known...). They are not at all babyish and would be alot easier to ride.

where i live there is not many shops ,think he would prefer a trike ,even plastic one would do but i want one for older age as hes 5 in june,most only for little ones. :blink:

trying to look on net but not found anything yet.

Hi RQ,

There's one really big trike on ebay that looks just like the one I had as a child (says 'age 3 to 10') but might be too far to collect. Kettler do trikes for up to age 6-ish. Other than that, can you get the stabilisers to fit really low down so the bike rides flat? That's what works for my 4-yr-old, who can't balance for toffee.

L xx

Hi RQ,

There's one really big trike on ebay that looks just like the one I had as a child (says 'age 3 to 10') but might be too far to collect. Kettler do trikes for up to age 6-ish. Other than that, can you get the stabilisers to fit really low down so the bike rides flat? That's what works for my 4-yr-old, who can't balance for toffee.

L xx

we have had 2 trikes for our autistic boy.a giant trike really stylish ages3-5.cost about ?80.now he has a mission trike.its old fashion style but funky its for ages 6-8.but they do another size in between that and adult size.it was ?175.type mission in comp and when you find mission cycles web page theres a bit you can click on to find local stockists.our one even built it ready for collection.we were getting it from family fund but they lost our form so we went ahead and got it ourself.all the best.

hi

i looked at the mission ones they are fantastic and what im after but alas i cannot afford that much,plus if it got damaged or he didnt use it alot i would be gutted after spending all that money-but they are brilliant. :D ,going to look in halfords now.

look at giant bike website lil giant trike rrp ?65.thats the one adam had until he was 6.

Edited by adamsmum

Hi the trike bikes they make now are very good and last for years, what about applying for a fund,

like family fund,

or any fund that helps you get equiptment,

NAS might have a spercific list

or even your local council may have funds available for local children to access equiptment,

or try your OT for more information.

I think the trike would be ideal and the other kids will be jelous so tell him he has a super trike,

put trike uk into google images and local firms will show up.

Hope he gets one that he is happy with, good luck, and all the best to finding a fund to help pay for it.

JsMum

hi

i have applied to the family fund last sept for garden toys for son as we just moved and didnt have a garden before i think i mentioned bike and trampoline to help him develop co ordination but ive not heard yet off them,only e mail that confirms they got my form

about the giant trike i just looked at it it says goes up to year 4 am i looking at right one could really do with bit longer as hes 5 in june but ?65 is ok to spend id be happy with that if i find one that will last him a bit. :D

thanks for all your help-its a job and a half finding things isnt it :D

If it says 'up to year 4' and this is an education supplies catalogue it will mean it's suitable for 9 yr olds. If it isn't Id expect it to say up to 4 years of age.

HTH

Just found this on another site

The Disabled Living Foundation has free lists of cycles under the headings: pedal, tandem passenger, 4-wheel, foot-propelled, hand-propelled, power assisted. Specify which sections you would like. Helpline: 0870-603 9177, minicom 0870-603 9176 �

Sometimes get trikes on here aswell http://www.equipforlife.org.uk/

And maybe http://www.wisewheels.co.uk/index.html

Edited by lil_me