~Jonathan~

I worry

Jonathan

I have encountered numerous people in the past who initially appeared as friendly but eventually turned against me. On the day they turned against me they usually did so for what seemed a petty trivial reason. I found it difficult as a kid to identify who were real friends and those who would use me then turn against me later on.

My AS son told his psychologist this morning that he couldn't understand why so many friends "let him down" .... psych told him that sometimes it can be difficult to choose the right friends all the time. But there are others who will stick by you through thick and thin, it just takes time to find them

It's tough though sometimes because I worry about these people who have turned on me and I think about them more than I should do and because I want their approval, I find myself acting as they've asked me to so even though they are no longer in my life their influence remains. My Mum says "but you don't spend as much time thinking about the people who do genuinely care about do you?" and she's right.

I don't think school is necessarily the best place for kids to find friends. It is an institution where one is forced to mix with people simply on the virtue of age and that they live close by.

How many people are you still friends with who attended your primary school? I would hard pressed to find someone over the age of 30 who has more than 5 or 6 friends who attended their primary school.