Sign in to follow this  
justamom

gfcf diet

I was wondering if the diet is expensive to do????

I did do the diet about 3years ago with my son but found it rather costly have things changed because I would like retry?

justamom. I think buying GF/CF products is expensive; recently though there are far more products available . Also there are many recipes for making your own GF/CF bread/biscuits and all sorts of other things. Also, if you go through a dietician then it's possible to get many GF/CF products free on prescription.

Lauren

It does cost more. If you use a lot of ready-prepared meals it'll work out the same, except that you're never out of the kitchen.

Top tips:

Cook in bulk and freeze the rest

Put the whole family on it - who wants to cook two different meals every day?

Avoid gluten free bread - it's very expensive and tastes vile

Go steady on the soya - it's number three on the list of intolerances

Keep a food and behaviour diary - it really helps work out where the problems are

Remember to avoid MSG and aspartame

Get some vitamin and mineral supplements

If you see a deterioration in behaviour after a couple of days, that is a good sign that the long-term benefits will be worthwhile.

Give it a six month trial.

Have nerves of steel (or borrow some) and don't wobble if a GP, paed or other medical authority dismisses what you're doing. It is not mainstream but will be in about 10 years - you don't have the luxury of waiting.

That's about the hardest sell I'll ever do on this diet.

BTW most of what is on the GP's list is suitable for coeliacs, which allows a small amount of gluten. To be successful the food has to be without those tiny traces.