Flora

The magic of melatonin

I've posted this in here because I'm not sure if it's off topic or not. William has been prescribed melatonin since the beginning of January. I don't give it to him every night because I've heard that they can become immune to it's affects. He hasn't had any now for about 10 days, but he was so tired this morning when I got him up for school I decided to give him some tonight. I gave him it quite early, at about 5.30pm and had decided to get them all to bed by 8. So at 8pm I went off to find them all to tuck them up but couldn't find William. I assumed he wasn't in his bedroom because the light was off. I went in to turn back his duvet and got the shock of my life.... He was already in bed, with the light off, absolutely fast asleep :o:o I actually checked his pulse because this is so un-him I thought he must be ill (or worse), but no, he's sleeping a deep and contented sleep. I'm praying :pray: that he will sleep through the night because I've treated myself to two temazepam in the hope that I might actually get an early night and some sleep too!

Sorry if this is rambling, but I really am delighted. Melatonin is so obviously working for him, without it he can be awake until well after midnight, which means I am too!

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I also uses melatonin for during the week if you give it an hour before they go to bed they settle to sleep within a few minutes. I only give it to my child from sunday evening to Thursday evening. I also leave it off in the holidays. Sometimes you need a stronger dose if the child is very anxious but it is a wonderful thing.

We also use it from the beginning of September to December than start reducing it in January so by February he is off it. If something is happening in school eg a school visit then we might give it to our son two days prior to the visit.

Jen

Did your doctor prescibe the melationin for him or your pead?? I have never asked for any medication for his sleeping problems we have just "Managed" but he too goes to bed way after 12 most nights and he used to get up for school ok but i am having more and more difficulties getting him out of bed.....

He needs a good night sleep, was your dr ok prescibing the medicine - not sure if mine will???

justamom. William was on anti-depressants and respiridone last year. They seemed to be making him worse, and the respiridone had absolutely no affect on his sleep other than to give him nightmares when he finally dropped off. I'd started looking up melatonin at the advice of a special school HT we visited last year. I was thinking of buying it through a pharmacy website (from America) but it was expensive and I couldn't find any guide lines for doseage.

In January William had one of his regular CP appointments and I asked her about taking him off his meds and trying melatonin. She agreed immediately. GP's aren't allowed to prescribe it because it's not licenced for use over here (even though you can buy it over the counter in the States), though I think that once a consultant has prescribed it GP's are then able to take over the prescription (I maybe wrong there). It works a treat, he gets to sleep easily and actually stays asleep. He's usually a bit spacey for the first hour or two on waking (which is no bad thing because it means he isn't having school morning melt downs). I may be wrong here, but I think most CP's and consultants are happy to try melatonin because it's not a drug, it's a natural hormone. I only give him it on school nights or when he's stressed; I don't give him it at weekends or holidays.

Lauren

I think that at my next app I might just ask and see what they have to say, he defintely needs something. I have just spoken to my mother about his sleeping habbits and she says "OH! its his telly, if he did not watch the telly he would fall asleep" but I am not entirely convinced about this because his telly only stops him from coming out of his room, he does not only watch his telly he spins while up in his room!!!

It might be a habit not sure.

justamom

Suze, it was utter bliss thank you. I feel quite :bounce: this morning. I will write the next installment, complete with buxom barmaid etc, while William is in with the OT today.

Lauren

hiya, my ds1 adhd son was prescribed melatonin two years ago.he is on 3mg but that alone does not send him to sleep so on top my gp also prescribed him phergon and that works for my ds1. i give it to him 3 days a week and during hoildays/half term he doesnt have it.he too suffers nightmares and i thought it may be the melatonin that may cause it but even during breaks he still has them,his peadtriction says it is the adhd that causes the nightmares.

my asd ds2,also has sleep difficulties but the pead does not want to prescribe it to him and wants the community nurse to sort that out along with his behaviuor issues.i have to say they came out the beginning of the month and i still havent heard from them so not sure what they are going to do but was told they were working on a sleep programme for him.

throw two four yr old twins in this that wont go to bed and settle cause their brothers are making to much noise and that sums up most of my nights.

his pead knows how my nights are but as i say refuses to put him on melatonin.

This is getting too weird. Tonight William ASKED to go to bed at 7.50pm because, I quote 'I'm nearly asleep already'.

I'm now convinced that it's nothing to do with the melatonin. He's actually been abducted by aliens and replaced by a more civilised clone of himself. He's been in a fantastic mood, cracking jokes, helping Luke with his homework (very magnanimous of him considering he has been exempt from doing homework). He even cleared his plate after tea and put it in the dishwasher.

:pray: Glory be, halleluleah, and long may it last :pray:

Looks like I'm in for another early night :thumbs:

Lauren