JenRose

Still no Dx

As well as OCD,Severe Anxiety,Need for rigidity in routines,Sensory problems and a problem with theory of mind and all because, HE SHOWED IMAGINATION IN THE ADOS GRRRRRR.

I really dont know what to do from here, the NAS said dont accept Autistic Traits as an explanation, i fought my corner today with the psych, i told her "how can you have Traits without having Autism"?

She said "well its like M has the Autism Gene but its not manifesting itself fully in M, and because he showed imagination in the ADOS and was sociable then he,s not Autistic"

Is it worth going private do you think?

Jen, you could ask for a referral to the NAS clinic in London (can't remember the name but details are on their website). You have to ask your GP to refer you but he has to get permission for funding from your LHA which can take a few weeks but would be well worth the wait if they agree. Or if you don't want to do that, ask your GP to refer you to someone else. Research your area for an ASD specific consultant and go to your GP with the name.

This must be very frustrating for you.

Lauren

jen

that is like my son

he did that test and they said he would have to be closely monitored in the future that was when he was about 2

so i left it a while then i started writing letters saying how i dont agree,the consultant has since put his name down for camhs waiting list as i have actually now demanded that i want a proper dx now.

hes 5 in june and its still ongoing.........

problem im having is now with school saying theres nothing wrong

i also asked to be reffered to the place in london and my gp was all for it but she got turned down regarding they wont fund it

so now im just pushing as best i can :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jen,

We have our next appointment next week and I don't know what I will do if we get this response. I know we really don't want our kids to have ASD but when they do display loads of traits it seems almost as bad not to have a dx if you know what I mean. Have you looked into Pervasive Developmenal Disorder non specified? My understanding of this is it can be given to children who display several traits but perhaps don't display the language problems? I think it is quite a popular diagnosis in USA but not so much here. A friend's son has the dx from USA and he has a special school, restbite, careworkers etc funded.

Good luck, I hope things work out

Carrie

D my husband wants to go private. We are sick of being fobbed off, we have now seen clinical psychologist who was convinced he is ASD and 2 CAMHS psychiatrists who say no BUT, with M being out of school they havent been able to do a school observation or see how he is with his peers, we are hoping that if M does get back into school then they will do this but psych said today that M is adamant that he does not want to go back into school as he would rather stay at home, but we are hoping to get his anxiety to a minimum and see if he can go to another school as i cant cope with both him and my daughter who has Cerebral Palsy at the same time, even though i wish i could :(

within the NHS your are entitled to a second opinion. Go to your GP and say you are not happy with the Psychatist and would like a second opinion with a more experience psychiatist. It may be worth contacting your local ASD group and asking the group who has a good psy.

You need to get the diagnosis correct.

Jen