Viper

This is odd

This has got me stumped. We got a letter addressed to our house but with a different name on it. There was no return address so I had to open it to see where to send it to. Well it was a cheque for ?377 from a local parish council, the only note with it was "Welcome home" on a yellow post it note stuck to the cheque.

We have lived in this house for 10 years and before that only one other couple lived here, it was newly built, so unless the person on the cheque camped on this site then I don't know who the heck he is. I have looked in the phone book and there is no one of that name in our street either.

I am wondering if it is a payment to someone just out of prison who has given the wrong address. The strange thing is our address isn't something you could choose off the top of your head like 1 the high street. Everyone always spells it wrong too but this is correct.

I just don't want some ex con turning up on my doorstep claiming to live here.

Sounds a bit fishy doesn't it - Get straight on to the parish council and find out why it was sent. The cheque must be made out to someone, or signed by someone - can you track it down from there?

I rang the parish council involved and they aren't open until monday. I know who the cheque is for just never heard of him.