kathkin99

School asking for permission to restrain 5 year old

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me here please I have been asked by my sons teacher for a letter giving them permission to use restraint if necessary.

Could you please advise what I need to put in the letter e.g. is it better to state the type of restraint (does anyone know the name a bearhug? from behind type restraint oh dear hope that makes sense) only to be used and by whom and is there anything else that needs to be stated .

I have been trying to write the letter and thought you would all know much better than me or point me in the right direction.

Thanks all once again.

I would expect the school to have a consent form for you to sign. It should detail the type of restraint that the school uses and say quite clearly that only staff with the appropriate training should use it. It should also tell you how the school will inform you of any incidents that have required restaint. The school should be also very clear about when it will use the restraint procedures for your child: my son's school uses it when he is a danger to himself, others or school property.

You should also be aware of their procedure for dealing with your son's behaviour before it gets to a point when restraint will be needed, so you know that they have a clear and open policy around behaviour management and don't use restraint as the first line of defence!

So, in summary, I would not write the letter. Anybody asking you to do that would worry me, it appears that they are not fully aware of the legislation around control and restraint.

Perhaps you could advise them to speak to the LEA and get a copy of their restraint policy and see if the LEA has a standard form that they use in these circumstances. Good Luck

Edited by Debs

When my son went to school I was told they would restrain him if they thought it nessasary. I was not asked if this was ok just told. He is only 5. One of the many reasons I now home ed.

I would ask about what training is in place for staff as well, this is a whole school issue as they will leave themselves open to critism and your son potential harm if it isnt handled properly.