Tez

Picking everything to pieces

A has this habit of picking at everything and it's costing us a fortune in replacing everything he damages. He picks at the rubber on sky remote controls, he picks at the material on chairs, he picks at his sheets, he picks at himself. We've tried diverting the picking onto something that doesn't matter, we've tried giving him squeezy balls and other sensory/feely objects but nothing we've found so far diverts him.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so how did you solve it?

Hi Tez,

My daughter does this also - mostly it tends to be mousemats because she spends so much time on the PC.

I have noticed that she does it subconsciously and if she isn't doing this she's flicking her fingers by the side of her ear or repeatedly biting the joints on her fingers.

Haven't found a way of getting round this at all - it's seems to be one or the other.

Jb

K does the same he bites his finger joints too he even got a huge kinda sore there and it did not stop him doing it... He picks his wall paper border in his room - it drives me mad.

I would have suggested the chewy tubes have you tried them?

justamom

K does the same he bites his finger joints too he even got a huge kinda sore there justamom

My daughter has two little lumps on each finger joint - I mentioned it to the GP a few months back who didn't have a clue what it was (they're exactly on each joint and as big as a little wart) - I really was worried about it because it was on every finger on every joint (the top joint not the middle one). It took me a few weeks to work out that it was where she is biting them all the time to the point of causing these lumps to appear. They look awful like she's got some deformity on her joints - but I can't get her to stop doing it.

Jb

Our boy destroys things just to see what happens. It drives me crazy as we have ripped wallpaper, ripped books, toys irrepairably pulled apart. If he feels the urge he just does it. AAGH!