Sign in to follow this  
lyns

Statement

Hi

We will be moving right out of our area really soon and my son will be moving to a different school. He currently has a statement and is in an autistic unit at the moment on an aba programme. The next school that he goes to he will not be doing aba as i am keen to come away from it but it is on his statement. I was just wondering would it be useful to have a review of his statement before he moves to another school.

We saw a school where we hope my son will go to and im sure the headmaster told me it might be useful to do this but I cant remember why he told us this as it was a while ago now.

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated

Lyns

xx

If your moving to a new LEA area they will review any statement provision no matter when the review was last done. HectorsHouse has hands on experience of just this scenario, I'm sure she'll be happy to help (Hi HH - hope that's ok with you).

Hi Lyns ... as Phas says I have been here and done this ... its quite an experience but it can be done, firstly when are you going to move and are you due for an annual review before that date?

Also sections 8:111 to 8:115 of the COP are worth reading up on, and be ready to quote relevant bits from them to the new LEA.

When you move the new authority MUST within 6 weeks of transfer when they are going to review the statement or whether they will make an assessment ... both LEA's are meant to support the parents through this process, unfortunately this doesn't really happen.

Also IPSEA were a great help for me and T, as were those on here ... my blog (click on my link below my signature) has lots of stuff about our trials and tribulations ... also there is a thread on here 'New Area/New Problems' which highlights our experiences.

Your welcome to pm me if you want to talk off forum and in more detail.

HHxx