Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

IEP

I have just heard that my son's IEP is: to reintegrate into mainstream asap, and that's all there is to it. Shouldn't this be more specific, like able to use the traffic lights to ask for help or taking part in at least two lessons a day or coming into school willingly and in uniform or stuff like that? It just seems rather broad, especially as I am not sure what they consider 'reintegrated'. I have the feeling that they mean for him to be on the premises all day, but not for him to actually take part in educational activities.

Hi MIN,

In a word .......... Yes!

There's lots of useful info on IEP's Here, and how they should be written. The IEP should contain small, achieveable goals, hardly what is written on your sons one .

Annie

xx

I have just heard that my son's IEP is: to reintegrate into mainstream asap, and that's all there is to it. Shouldn't this be more specific, like able to use the traffic lights to ask for help or taking part in at least two lessons a day or coming into school willingly and in uniform or stuff like that? It just seems rather broad, especially as I am not sure what they consider 'reintegrated'. I have the feeling that they mean for him to be on the premises all day, but not for him to actually take part in educational activities.

Hi Mother in Need,

Your sons IEP should be broken down into three easily achieveable goals as you rightly suggest

1) xxxx will use traffic lights to ask for help

2) xxxx will take part in xxxx lessons each day

3) xxxx will try to come to school in full uniform

These should then be regularly reviewed to see if xxxx is able to achieve them.

Julieann