Sign in to follow this  
sue1957

If they say ADHD doesn't exist....

wow thats really interesting thanks! it would be great if children and adults with adhd could have brainscans etc. at least this way, showing the difference how the brain works could give the parents and sufferers alone a break from the constant battering from ignorance. its about time they did come up with something other than a paper rating scale!

There is a community forum also at brainplace.com and there are several books by dr Amen who is a neuro psychiatrist with a special interest in adhd, One I read that I like called "change your brain change your life," and is very detailed on how different parts of the brain are related to difficulties in functioning and processing information such as temporal lobes and prefrontal cortex as well as areas of brain responsible for ocd the cingulate system, and anxiety the basal ganglia system and depression and bi polar the deep limbic system, the difficulties can be seen on scan and can be used for asd also.

I'm in contact with someone from the UK who had a scan as she had depression and was told she had psychosis but suspected it was add, and this was confirmed via brain scan, but her psychiatrist refused to accept or give her meds advised by spect clinic saying add didn't exist in adults only children, refused to look at the brain scan or acknowledge it in any way whatsoever saying it wasn't a reliable way to dx mental illness.

I dsagree it is far more reliable, and these people are so arrogant it is unbelievable when there is something that could be done to improve her quality of life, they must think people spend loads of money to get something like this for the fun of it

There is a community forum also at brainplace.com and there are several books by dr Amen who is a neuro psychiatrist with a special interest in adhd, One I read that I like called "change your brain change your life," and is very detailed on how different parts of the brain are related to difficulties in functioning and processing information such as temporal lobes and prefrontal cortex as well as areas of brain responsible for ocd the cingulate system, and anxiety the basal ganglia system and depression and bi polar the deep limbic system, the difficulties can be seen on scan and can be used for asd also.

I've got that book, and his one "Healing ADD The Breakthrough Program that allows you to see and heal the 6 types of ADD" (The website now adds a 7th type, trauma induced).

Dr Amen's own family are affected. There's a questionaire in the book for working out which type of ADD/ADHD is most likely, and then strategies (diet, supplements, behaviour management etc) for each type, and why different meds seem to work better for different types.

I'd like to get his new book, but last time I looked it wasn't listed on Amazon UK, and its pricey from the US, so it'll have to stay on my wish list a bit longer :rolleyes:

Really interesting Sue - thanks for posting that.

My son was found to have an acnaroid cyst on the right frontal lobe at 11 months - i was told at the time it was nothing to worry about. But, at the time - i was sueing a hospital for giving him 10 times the amount of Morphine during an emergency op (and for 12 hours afterwards..... :o ). I've always wondered....

Sue, what is his new book called I know he has several, I would really like to try the supplements he does, although I can't afford it at present, as I'm terrified of conventional medications, after suicide attempts when I was on seroxat and know it was linked by messing up all the other neurotransmitters , and don't like the idea of all those chemicals doing god knows what but the idea of natural supplement supporting your brain to function better appeals to me more even though they can sometimes have adverse affects too.

Florrie, the book with the stuff on diet, supplements, behavioural management and meds is in "Healing ADD The Breakthrough Program that allows you to see and heal the 6 types of ADD" which is available on amazon uk, isbn 0425183270.

His new one I've only seen on the US amazon, which is a much more general book giving pictures of spect scans for lots of different conditions. its called "Images into Human Behavior: A Brain Spect Atlas" There's a summary on http://www.brainplace.com/bp/atlas/