Sign in to follow this  
lisa35

social stories

Ive read a bit about these and to be honest dont really understand them

Can anyone advise me about pne for initiating conversations for my son

He is 10 and today we d been building a small bonfire in thegarden- we went for a walk and he saw a friend and said "do i smell of smoke" she looked at him gone out, understandibly, he then went onto say Ive been making a fire- he then walked away and got really upset and said what a stupid thing to say- he was actuallly blushing. And I asked if he found it difficult to know what to say to people and he said yes- I said maybe next time he could say "Hi, what have you been doing..but he gets angry when i try to advise him!

Any tips- its such a simple thing we all take for granted!!!

Also, he asked me a question and i replied "yes" in what i thought was my norma l voice- he then thought Id replied angrily- its his perception- guess nothing I can do about that one!

Seems Ive been asking tons of questions- but Im so glad Ive found somewhere that people undertsand!

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Sorry, I can't help with your query but I can re-assure you that there are many others with the same problem. My son is 11 and quite often reads what I say to him in the wrong way and gets upset rather than allowing me to clear up the issue.

I had a bit of a rant about the mess in his room last week and found out a couple of days ago that he'd thrown his Easter eggs in the bin cos they were "messy". Maybe next time, I'll show him what is rubbish and what isn't!!!

Good luck with your search for advice and, if you get any, please pass it on as I'm sure there are many of us out there who'd like to benefit from it too.

Thank you and good luck again

Wafta

I haven't any words of wisdom either but knowing we all go through this might help xxx

J often will start a conversation from the middle of a subject as if we know what is in his mind........ then gets frustrated I don't know what he is talking about......

Something out of the blue like '' well the red wasn't that nice was it ?''

me: What darling, what isn't nice......

J: The red one you know they said it wasn't........

I then have to ask more and more questions each one making him more frustrated until I get a tiny clue to what he means, then I have to clarify it and if we are with other people I have to explain it so he can then repeat his original sentence...........

We have to be kind of like detectives I think LOL

Joanne xxx

Edited by Mummy21