Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

My own DLA application

I had a doctor over last week to see if I was disabled enough to get DLA. As most of you are probably aware I have Lupus which can be very debilitating when it's flaring.

Anyway he interviewed me and checked my joints, then he asked how many children I had. So I said five, didn't mention Martin's AS.

And he said: "And you take care of all these children with your disability?"

Of course I ###### did, who did he think did it? The flaming tooth fairy.

Was this a trick question, if she's capable of looking after five children she can't be that disabled, or was it to send in social services because obviously a disabled woman can't run a home, go to work and bring up five kids can she!

Oooohhhh........it's been bugging me for a week! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

When will you find out Daisy?

I'll keep everything crossed for you. You deserve it. There is no reason why a carer can't get DLA for themselves, there is actually something about it in the information booklet.

Lauren

Daisy,

When we applied for DLA for our daughter we sent every conceivable report...from OT, Physio, School, Ed Psych, Paed, Prof of Genetics etc ....and they still sent a doctor for a home visit. :rolleyes: I was amazed and also very dubious and suspicious of their motives. However, the doctor turned out to be really helpful and even offered advice for future renewal. When we renewed the DLA 2 years later, no doctor was sent. I've often wondered how ANYONE manages to con the system, because they were very thorough with us, plus, how much money does it actually cost to send a doctor :wacko: ???? Couldn't that be better spent elsewhere??? My mum applied for DLA many years ago after having back surgery. She was asked similar questions to yours...ie. oh, so you can make yourself a cup of tea then? so you can make yourself a meal? etc etc. Of course she could...who else was going to do it??!!!! She was turned down then, but a couple of years later, after further back surgery she reapplied and was awarded it. Good luck with it, sure it will be ok for you :D

Debs

Hi guys,

At least 6 weeks - it's been on-going since January. I think I got spoiled when Martin's came through in just a few weeks. I did get a letter saying they were awaiting a decision but not to worry as I wouldn't lose any money but it's probably a bog standard letter.

Could do with it - then I could get an extra handrail for the stairs (although I could try getting that off social services, they did all my lever taps for free).

I did give the visiting doc an impressive box full of meds which keep me going, not to mention my various arthritis aids. It's not the end of the world if I don't get it.

Edited by DaisyProudfoot

We had a extra stair rail fitted by Social Services , free, for our daughter, so definately worth asking them. Our DLA claim took months first time round.....think we applied Feb and got decision in June :o

Good luck Daisy - I hope you get it. :pray:

L had a visit from a doctor when I applied for her DLA. I'm sure this worked in our favour and we got a higher rate than we would otherwise have received. All he did was write down everything I'd said on the original form, but it probably sounded more convincing coming from him!

K x