Viper

NAS Sent me this

make school make sense

Tell the Secretary of State for Education, Alan Johnson MP to support the make school make sense campaign

You may be shocked, as I was, to learn that:

Over 40% of children with autism have been bullied at school

1 in 110 children have autism but there is no requirement for teachers to undertake any training in autism

Over 70% of schools are dissatisfied with the level of their teachers? training in autism

Over 25% of children with autism have been excluded from school.

The National Autistic Society has launched a new education campaign and our demands are simple: the right school for every child, the right training for every teacher, and the right approach in every school.

We need your help to ensure that all children with autism get the education they deserve.

Please join me and act now!

Tell Secretary of State for Education, Alan Johnson MP to support the make school make sense campaign.

To find out more about the make school make sense campaign visit www.autism.org.uk/campaign

Please forward this email to your friends.

Thank you,

Jane Asher

President of The National Autistic Society

Registered charity no: 269425

Edited by Viper

Ok, I want the NAS's source for that 1 in 110 claim. Their position on incidence seems to change every month. It seems remarkably similiar to a flawed Canadian Autism incidence report(the exact same number). I'm willing to believe this is not actually the NAS's opinion but solely that of Jane Asher of whom I am still utterly puzzled as to why she is president of the NAS.

hi viper -

certainly sounds like a worthwhile campaign on the surface... will definitely have a looksee to find out more...

Really good to see the NAS trying to actively DO something that might rattle a few cages - I personally think they are a 'dog with no teeth', but at least as the biggest 'dog' on the block their presence does actually register...

Have no idea about the accuracy of their statistics, but i do know that for each catergory the figures are 'too many'.

L&P

BD :D

Some days the 500,000 Autistic *people* in the UK become 500,000 Autistic *children*, usually accompanied by someone asking "Where are all the adults!?! EPIDEMIC!!"

The adults are out there alright, but unfortunately many have slipped through the net.

Actually, that 500,number consists of mostly adults. Only about 100,000 to 125,000 are under the age of 21. And that's with all those adults who slipped through the net.