Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

16+ is this legal?

Three of my friends have children who have been adviced they can only have 2 mornings a week at our local 6th form College. The children are all 16 and the parents were all under the impression that they would be attending college full time.

These poor families now have to find something else for their children and to be blunt their isnt anything else. The College claims the SEN unit is over subscribed and the children wouldnt cope. I had my suspicions after my friend rang to tell me about her sons interview. The College claimed to work with AS children but when my friends son started flapping his hands (obviously stressed by the situation) the Head bellowed, Stop, not appropriate behaviour!

I am so cross over this. These children and families are getting a raw deal. They seem to be getting duff information and advice from all sides. Connections dont seem to have a clue and I would love to know if the Colleges proposals are legal. The children were all statemented pre school and born within 2 miles of this College.

Any advice I could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lorainexx

I think you said this was QM - is it in the SEN Unit or in the AS Unit?

Have they investigated other colleges eg: Cricklade. T's school works closely with them. They would have to be transported, but you could get that paid for if it was the nearest appropriate course.

www.cricklade.ac.uk

www.hants.gov.uk/education/schools/colleges.php

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family...ional_needs.htm

says

"A student with SEN is entitled to receive full-time education that is appropriate to their needs. This applies to children and young people between the ages of two and 19. This education may be in a special school, mainstream school (see Choosing a school, under heading Statement of needs), or somewhere else. You have the right to educate your child at home as long as the local education authority (LEA) is satisfied that this meets your child's needs.

There are different rules for young people who go to further, sixth form or higher education colleges."

Try calling oaasis.co.uk or ipsea/ace/network81

Karen

Thanks for all the information Karen. I didnt realise QMC had an AS unit as well as SEN.

Ill pass all the info on to my friends tomorrow.

Thanks,

Loraine