Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Book: Surviving the special educational needs system.

....... How to be a 'velvet bulldozer' By Sandy Row.

I know i've seen a thread about this book - just can't find it... :unsure:

I usually find these kind of books difficult to digest - i read a chapter or two - go and have a think :rolleyes: - then read a bit more.

This one i read, cover-to-cover, in two days! :P

Really great book about one families' struggles to get the right provisions for their (four!) children. Great if you're going through/about to begin/been through the statement process - lots of information and advice. :thumbs:

Hi

I read this book last year. Fantastic! I've purchased a mini library and have to say that this book was by far the best. I bought this at a time when I was particularly desperate for answers and in particular to seek confirmation of my suspicions as to the cause of my son's cause of behaviour/traits. There was one page in particular that I swear described my son literally word for word. That was the crunch for me. Despite my GP and health visitor (and lots of others) telling me categorically that my son did not have AS, but after reading this book I knew otherwise for sure. This book has been invaluable. This book is written by an amazing woman who has grit and determination ? she and her husband have adopted 3 children each with an ASD. She tells of each of their traits, problems, battle for a diagnosis and battle for educational needs to be met. Sandy shares the highs and lows and tells it like it is. The author is realistic, but without making you feel like you're fighting a losing battle, she somehow manages to give inspiration, comfort and confidence to fight your own individual battles. Sandy Row doesn't waste time telling you of the trivialities and claiming to be a superwoman unlike the Jacksons (in my humble opinion!) ? have to say I read other books like Luke Jackson and Jacqui Jackson/Multicoloured Mayhem and Luke Jackson's book Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome and was very unimpressed. In fact I'd go as far as to say after having read each of their books that I personally felt ripped off. I hoped to gain from each of their experiences, but found the only thing I'd gained was ?30 for the price of both books on my visa card. I really feel like they've cashed in!

C.