Sign in to follow this  
Emum

Annual Review

Please could I ask another education question. How long should it take to get an amended statement back, or the LEA's response, after an annual review?

E's original statement was very vague, and said only that she should have access to input from a SLT and OT. She did actually get both OT and SLT at school both on an individual and group basis, but when the annual review came round I asked that they should specify in the statement how much support she was entitled to get. I based the request on info on the IPSEA website and printed out the relevant case law to this effect. School initially resisted but finally sent in the form to the LEA requesting that the statement be amended to reflect what was happening in practice. I was happy with this because she was in fact getting weekly SLT and OT. No one from the LEA was present at the review.

Her review was end of January and I haven't heard anything since. I enquired via the school a few months ago and was told the matter had to be considered by tribunal, but since then nothing.

It became important recently as she was off school for 9 weeks with a mildly infectious skin condition. School wouldn't have her in, and wouldn't provide SLT or OT, because statement still didn't have any minimum amounts written in. However because she was off and is a full time job to have at home, I didn't have the time to push through the amended statement. She's now, finally, back at school but I'd like to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed in case something similar happens again.

Is there anything set out in policy or law to say that LEA's must respond to schools' recommendations following an Annual Review within a specified period, and if not, where should I go from here?

You need to look at the SEN CoP sects 9-32 to 9-35. The schools report should have gone in after 10 days (two working weeks) and the LEA are supposed to respond as soon as possible. This link takes you to a site to download the COP from.

HTH

Thanks Phasmid, I was hoping you weren't far away. I've downloaded the info, and will get cracking on a stroppy letter to the LEA.