Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Water in hot weather

Hi,

Remember the other day when it was extremely hot? Most of us were wandering around with bottles of water. L said she felt sick on that day and thought it was probably because she forgot to drink (she was at college).

She doesn't experience thirst (or doesn't recognise it) and she says herself that she forgets to drink unless she is reminded. I'm trying to establish a rule she could follow on a day like that when temperatures are in the 30's so that she doesn't seriously dehydrate - i.e. how much and when she should drink. I'm a bit stuck though - like most people I just drink when I'm thirsty and presumably automatically take in what my body needs.

I wondered if anyone else had this problem. How much water should she be drinking and how often - any ideas? (She's 17)

K x

Hi Kathryn

I've noticed my DS doesn't drink very much water. He often comes home from school with his drink untouched, even in this weather - never thought he couldn't recognise if he was thirsty - must keep an eye on that one...

Generally it's said that an adult should drink at least 2 litres per day (not easy!). If L is at college, how about providing a sports bottle (containing 1 litre) and making it a regular thing that she drinks before each class? Otherwise you can get a watch which has reminders on it.

Not much help, but as you say, quite worrying when the weather is so hot.

A

Hi Kathryn,

Yes, exactly the same here - my daughter doesn't touch a drop of her water (sports bottle type) in school all day (having said that she also doesn't use the loo's in school either - she's 12 yrs old and has only once been to the loo in school to get a tissue when her nose was running).

It is worrying when it's hot and I don't really know how to get round it either - obviously when she's home it's much easier to keep a check on.

Take care,

Jb

Hi K,

An adult with ASD i know has learnt some ways to remind herself to drink.

She takes a sports bottle around with her and will take a few sips each hour (she's really into routine - so this works for her!). If she forgets the sports bottle, she is able to 'recognise' she's thirsty by how her body is reacting, ie - if she feels lightheaded, or gets a headache (on a hot day). She recognises when her mouth is dry - or even if she goes for a wee and its too dark..... then she knows she needs to drink more. She also makes sure she drinks a cup of water after each meal.

Thanks for the suggestions. She doesn't like drinking out of plastic bottles, sports bottles, or any kind of disposable cup - which poses yet another challenge!

Hopefully we won't have many more really hot days before she breaks up for the holidays. :huh:

K x