LKS

using a pair of compasses

First of all don't know if that is how you say it :huh: I have just sat down with ds (as and dyspraxia) to do maths homework. It was, using a compass design and shade in 3 different circle patterns which have a rotational order of 2, 3 and 6. He had no trouble knowing what to do, but watching him trying to use the compass was distressing. He had great difficulty using it and even me trying to show him (extremly left handed and clumsy) didn't solve the problem. He does have a lot of trouble even using a ruler and underlining work and I'm wondering if I should ask the school to find some alternative way to do this (any computer programmes?) The work was screwed up and is at the moment gently blowing round the garden. Any advice please

we used to have a pair of special compasses, safety compasses of some sort. They looked like a plastic ruler with an adjustable pivot in the middle, they lie flat on the page - might be worth looking in school supplies catalogues

Z

Edited by Zemanski

Hi

A has this problem as well. It means that all graph work becomes a major issue as well as shape and space work. His Maths teacher once wrote to me to say that she had spent an hour with him trying to help without success. It is possible to get a "scribe" for want of a better word to draw the diagrams for them in all SATs exams and GCSEs, although the child does need to direct them as to what to do, and you do need an EP or suitably qualified teacher's report to show the need. Given this is possible for exams, it should be possible for an LSA to help in class.

Also try asking if an OT can devise a suitable program to help.

Edited by Tez

Is there a need to use compasses in the GCSE maths exam? Check the syllabus and the exam papers. If there isn't a need then inform the teacher.

My 1991 maths GCSE had a question about a geometrical construction that required the use of compasses.