onlycrazygal

so embarrassed however.....

ok......here go s ......deep breath!!!......

my son is 10yrs has been diagnosed with aspergers , tourettes , adhd, etc......

he has had a terrible habit now for so long i really dont know what to do about it....

he smears faeces on the walls in the toilet room each time he go s.......

ive shouted, been reasonable, jumped on his head from a great height, cried even, made him clean it himself at times.....cant get him to do it all of the time as he refuses and usually rages .....

im so embarrassed when people visit etc and need to use the loo......

thing is i have a problem cleaning it guys, beyond the realms of simply umpleasant, my tummy flips an mouth waters like im gonna heave , i cannot do it.....i know this is my job as a mum, but i break down in tears trying to do it.....

hugs,

paula x

oh, honey i know what you mean, i cant clean up my kids vomit have to get hubbie to do but the other end i'm fine with.... :lol:

Alot of kids i know on the spectrum smear, apparently Temple Gradin did the same its the sensation of it and something thats they just have to do..., she said she knew it was wrong but had to do it all the same. I am not sure how to stop the smearing somebody with alot my knowledge should come along shortly....

All the best

Funny isn't it how poo and what's done with it is not an acceptable conversation. Anything else goes - graphic details of someone's birth given out loud in Tescos to how much sick and what it contained is all given out - mention poo and every one hushes up.

1. try not to worry too much (bit of a daft statement I know) loads of children with varying impairments do this - you are not alone.

2. two schools of thought here: you can either get child to clean it up or you can clean up and "plan ignore" child

3. big tip if you can't stand or cope with the smells suck two extra strong mints - it does take the smell away - stops it going down your throat.

Can you discreetly keep an eye out when he uses the loo would he smear if he knew you were around? if you think it's a sensory thing would clay or playdough help?

Will get back to you on this as husband and children need feeding. Love Kat

Hi Paula,

M&S do some brilliant rubber gloves which go all the way to your elbows. Or you could buy a large box of throw away latex gloves from the chemist.

Lorainex

Hi Paula,

Sorry cant be much help with the smearing but I know exactly what you mean about cleaning it up. I can't stand cleaning up sick - to the point it makes me wretch and gag and even be sick myself. The only thing that helps me is to spray it with disinfectant - or a strong smelling cleaner leave it for a while and then go back to it with my nose blocked up with cotton wool with a few drops of olbas oil on it to block out the smell. I look daft but it works fr me.

Sorry I cant be more help >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

CeeBee

In my local pound shop you get about 50 pairs of food handling gloves for... ?1. I have a doggydo thing that you put a carrier bag over. The earlier you can get to it the quicker the smell goes away. Changing my son's diet made a big difference to the strength of smell.

It is, however, just about the only part of my son's behaviour that gives me the 'why-me?'s. I'm sure if SS had 'popped round' on one of my worst days, when clearing up sh!t AGAIN was too much for me (one summer holidays I had three children under 5 and my untrained ASD boy) I'm sure they would've hauled me in front of a magistrate.

I've been reading your other posts on the forum and you're going through a tough time. You've found a very good place here to come and share.

thanks everyone,

oh and jaded , that is my worst fear, that if the ss were to catch on to this kind of behaviour it could be misconstrued as emotional abuse......

the glove thing sounds about favourite but plz guys excuse my lack of enthusiasm as i have trouble cleaning anything like that, the loo, the sink plug holes ewwwwwwh thats it thats enough im stoppin there , beginnin to feel this problem is as much mine as it is my sons......

dont get me wrong im not snobby or anything like that im quite the opposite but ive always been the same i just cant do it.....

hugs,

paula :sick:

Tips for cleaning I have found useful! Try to make the bathroom as clean friendly as possible - washable/scrubbable paint or tiles, though I think paint is better, the grout between tiles is not good for cleaning, vinyl on the floor. When you've first discovered the "redecoration" open all windows/ turn on extractor fan. Spray all suraces with a proprietory cleaner that has a reasonably pleasant smell ( this can be done while holding breath and with eyes closed!!!) leave for a few minutes. Have a mop that you only use for this cleaning, rough mop everywhere walls included, this should get rid of the worst. Then spray again and go back and wipe off with a cloth. I know what you mean about the s*%$ getting everywhere - nothing worse than thinking it's all gone and turning on the taps only to discover it's still stuck behind the tap! Remop the floors and walls with a concoction of bleach, flash floor cleaner and a bit of washing up liquid. Then go away, sit by yourself and have cup of tea, and take time out for yourself even if for only 10 mins.

Have you considered applying to the Family Fund for help with flooring or paint and stuff - they can help with that to save you some expense.

Remember you are not a bad mum - everybody shouts and rants and raves - it's ok. Do you have any respite for your boy? Is there someone at school you can talk to - a link worker or sombody like that? Does he smear at certain times? It can help to keep a diary of when he smears and an ABCC chart as after a few months you might see a pattern emerging. If it's a sensory thing with your child and you make him clear it up he may enjoy this. I used to work with a lad who loved cleaning and clean fresh clothes, he used to make himself sick to get this. For him it was best to give him clean clothes and clean up ourselves rather than let him do it. We did this in silence in "planned ignore" style so he got no interraction with us.

Just read your last post and you say that it's as much your problem as your son's. Is it possible that he is aware of this and there is nothing like smearing to get mum's reaction? If this is so try to clean up without saying anything or giving him a reaction. I know it's easy for me to say this and very hard to do when you faced with a bathroom full of poo at 3.00am.

Sorry about all the questions - you don't have to answer them - but I hope this helps a bit. Love Kat

no not at all kat,

i remember years ago my initial reaction to his poo mania was total horror and disgust , however as i said that was years ago perhaps when he was about 5-6yr old.....

id jump up and down like a loon tryin to suss out what the hell was going on with him but i guess that passed its very sad to say but for the sake of a little peace and not the constant conflict it used to cause i just tried to ignore its existance.....that didnt last for long either as time went by my eldest would bring a friend home and would be so embarrassed ......but alas that wasnt were his embarassment ended, as con has an issue wearing clothing, so i guess from about 18mths ago when his sensory stuff started to get quite bad he will walk around the house totally nude.......another almighty battle commenced it was endless. told the ss . camhs, everyone, no-one had any answers for me and connah being connah still struts his stuff even now each and every day...... :lol: hes totally oblivious of how he looks, i love him to pieces obviously, but he has a weight problem its like having a little sumo round the house lol :lol: errrrrrr where was i....... :huh: nope i lost it for now need sleep

hugss,

paula

oh an thanks for the cleanin tips ....... ;)