HAY KEE

Dual registration

'A' is presently in a DSP attached to mainstream. The manager of the DSP unit has suggested dual registration, in order to relieve the pressure on 'A'.

I have been to look at both the special schools that use 'teacch', and have autism specific classes ( for both the possibility of full time registration or dual registration), and both appear to be well resourced and offer the enviroment that would probably suit 'A'.

One of the school already does dual registration for a number of it's pupils, which appears to working well for the pupils involved; however, the other school is not too keen on dual registration (they say it creates a funding issue).

As yet I have not decided if to go down the dual registration route or not; but was wondering if anyone on this site had any experience of dual registration, and any implications that may be attached to it.

HK

Edited by HAY KEE

Funding is not your concern, the school may not use funding issues to determine appropriate provision and if one school can do dual registration and manage the funding successfully so can another - it's their problem, not yours.

I don't know much about dual registration and how it works in practice but if it is right for A then go for it.

Zemanski

When I visited one (not very good) special school - they said the children coudl do maths at the mainstream next door, but then said it doesn't always work very well, as the two timetables may clash and he may miss something important in the special school when he goes to the mainstream.

Staffing can also be a problem if your child needs someone to go with him to the mainstream - worth checking what the arrangements woudl be.

Karen

Our medical PRU often takes pupils with anxiety problems on a dual registration basis with the pupils spending some time in mainstream and some in the PRU, obviously because the main aim is full reintegration. Problem is that these children often find that they are isolated with no true friends or working partners in either school because the other children like to have a consistent partner. They also find the constant change difficult, but most, in fact none, have an lSA to accompany them.

Could you ask if you could speak to the parents of someone who is already working the dual registration with the same schools you are considering for your son. A's school arranged this for me with the medical PRU and it was really useful in clarifying my views. The Deputy Head chaired the meeting, but it was really open and we were free to ask what ever questions we liked and at the end we were able to talk freely to the other parents with no one else present.