Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

ADHD reassessment update on T..

Had an appointment with T's Pead on the 7th Sept which is our regular 3 - 4 monthly appointments.

Got a letter in the post today cancelling that appointment and rearranging it for the 11th Sept but this time it is with his regular Pead AND the Child Psychiatrist. Called the hospital to query why this was done and she called me back saying that the Pead had requested a joint appointment with the Child Psych.

During our last appointment with the Pead I had requested that they reassess T for ADHD and asked that she look again at the Connors questionnaires b/c I really do believe he has ADHD. From what the Peads secretary told me on the phone today, looks like I'll finally be finding out whether he has it or not but given the Child Psych is going to be there who is very experienced in ADHD (although I personally CANNOT stand the woman! LOL), my guess is that they are possibly going to dx him.

Onlt time will tell but 2 more months??? :crying:

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Tylersmum,

Thats a bit frustrating having to wait until September, there are many books available in the library and they often have a checklist in them of questions for the diagnosis usually about 20 questions. When you read them most people can have some of these a lot of the critics and media read these lists and say everyone must have ADHD, but the difference is how severely the child is affected by each of these items that counts.

If it is ADHD Ritalin is very good but you have the problem at school of someone reliable to administer it, a lot are using Concerta these days and it is a slow release tablet that lasts for 12 hours, so they take the tablet in the morning. It is expensive, but when my son went on this I felt such a huge relief as he was on an even keel all day.

Dr Christopher Green has written an excellent book on this called 'Understanding ADHD' have a look on Amazon

Will be thinking of you, if it wasnt for the Psychiatrist being there as well you could have requested to go on a waiting list if any cancellations, they always crop up.

Good luck

Regards

H.

Two months is pretty fast to get a joint pead AND psychi' appointment.

Sam got his ADHD diaognosis tentatively at 18months definately by 2 and you had better beleive it heres ConcertaXL by 3.

It was a systematic observation of Sam over 6 months as well as questions task setting and observation that clinched the actual ADHD diaognosis.

You may NOT get the actual diaognosis this time it may be the start of 6 months of observations to jump NICE guideline hoops or they may well be able to use all his previous CDC etc. notes.

Sam no longer takes drugs (because in h8is case the uber greepy anxious paranoid aspergers that oused out of every pour scared the heck out of me more than the stunts he pulled thanks to ADHD)

Dr Christiphers Greens Book is VERY good, and if Tyler is super explosive then I found 'The Explosive Child useful for behaviour startegries and targetting when I did need to make a fuss.

Hope things work out well for both of you.