jlp

Separate bedroom for asd children?

On another forum I go on someone mentioned by law an autistic child is entitled to their own bedroom? Now I don't think for one minute that we could be so lucky but on the off chance that there is some understanding law out there I thought I'd ask here (I did work in council housing for years before ds#1 and never heard of such a law so I won't get my hopes up)

We have a tiny 2-bed and ds#1 really really needs some space of his own to chill out in. It wouldn't have to be a bedroom, even a dining room would do (probably be better as ds#1 is afraid to be alone) where we could make a corner for him. We have a front door, a 1m sq hall, into a small sitting room which leads into a small kitchen - there's simply no room. I'm getting worried for ds#2 because of the size and number of meltdowns we were having today. I ended up putting a playtent in the sitting room, putting cushions and some lights in and trying to get ds#1 to stay in there and calm down - ds#2 being 2 was desperate to be in too and things were being escalated.

Anyway I'm waffling at a tangent - but basically does anyone know of any help available to families of those with autism to be rehoused (or they can come and build a nice extension :lol: ). The boys are 6 and 2 atm and I have a feeling things will get worse - even ds#2 is going to need his own space to get away from all the shouting. He's developed a new habit or asking 'are you happy Mammy?' and 'Is George happy?' :crying:

Sorry for the sudden influx of posts after being mostly a lurker but we're not having a good spell atm!

We had a room built last year under the disabled facilites grant. The council said it was discretionary and so they could refuse it. However due to a safety issue they changed it to a mandatory grant and the bedroom was finished 10 months later. At the time we had a 2 bedroom bungalow and our 10 yr old AS son was sharing with a sibling. Neither of them were sleeping properly and our son was having huge meltdowns due to not having his own space.

We own our own home but were told there was a possibility of rehousing into a council house or having a grant for a new bedroom. A friend who is applying at the moment has said that the council will now give you a grant move to a bigger house as another option.

To get the ball rolling we had to have an assessment and referral done by the occupational therapist.

Here is a link to a government site on it:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/DisabledPeople/Ho...&chk=y4L9fn

Good luck

Denise 2

Guest hallyscomet

Goodluck with this, you could also get your childs doctor to write a letter in support of this and they will act really fast.

Coming up to teens they really need their own room, most ASD kids go through a difficult time coping with Puberty they need there own safe place. >:D<<'>

Good luck

H. :)

I think if you can say why there is a need then because it is due to medical reasons to then they probably do have to. My council have said that as soon as my son has a dx then they will put him down for needing his own room. Good luck.

when we had to move, we had to go from a private rent bungalow to a council house, ss arranged for us to have an ot come in and asses our needs, even though all phaslets are same sex she insisted that the council had to find us a four bedroom house as she, in her professional opinion, stated that phas jr needed his own room and the other phaslets needed space to be away from him. so it may help to get as many professional opinions as poss, try contacting your local nas group as they may do a letter also on the needs of and asd child and the affect that being in an "overcrowded" environment can have

good luck

We got overcrowding points which aren't usually given for 2 boys in a 2 bedroom house but turned down for medical points as they said we wouldn't get as many medical points (manager was very sympathetic and got advice from the medical section) as overcrowding points if that makes sense and we can't have both sets of points. Thing is we're still well down the list for the estates I've put down. No doubt we could get somewhere bigger in a really dodgy area but we had a house in one of those before children, and when G was a baby, and it was blooming scary - windows put out, police helicopters flying about at night, scary neighbours - and where we live now is lovely, safe and my mum lives on the same estate.

We haven't any involvement with social services - do you think it would be worth contacting them and if so which department? I might ask the GP and HV to write a supporting letter too.

Thank you to all those who've replied. >:D<<'>

im like you jlp ive max overcrowd points and gave housing ass infortion on ds2 asd as well for medical points.ive been on the list for nearly five years now but they keep saying they havent any properties to suit my needs in the areas i would like.i have two diffrent neighbours keep giving me grief at mo so deseparte to move.last week i look a another 3 bed but it was just to small but the landlord turns out to know my sisters husband well and said he will look for a four bed to buy then he rent it to me and to give him a few weeks to do that so im keeping my fingers crossed that il may be moving within next few months.(he owns 50 let houses) i had just missed a 4 bed he let out the week before.i will miss my house as ive lived here nine years but it just not big enough.

i was in 2 bedroomed private rent-i got a 3 bed roomed private

im now in a council 3 bedroomed

i have 2 boys -one is 5 other is 3 .

i dont know about there being a law but wrote letters saying how it was a danger for them to be sharing a room ect......,help of ss,health visitor and dr.

which moved me up the list ect......

i know u need to state all the real negative facts in order to get your point across so dont be shy about telling it like it is ...............

im so glad they have seperate rooms -its a god send really-ive no idea how i would cope with them sharing -it just dont work .

keep at it >:D<<'>

Hi jlp,

Your SS department should have a Disabled Children's Team. You can refer yourself to them, or you could ask your GP or Health Visitor to do it.

They can then put you on the waiting list for the Occupational Therapist, who can doa home assessment.

I have been down that route and i'm currently waiting for the OT to come and do an assessment of my house. I also live in a tiny 2 bedroom house, but i only have 1 child. All i want is a BIGGER 2 bed house, because my son's room is only 7' by 9' and the rest of the house is tiny. It's affecting his behaviour and making me depressed. We got medical pionts and i keep getting phone calls from Housing Associations offering me houses that are even SMALLER than mine :blink: . Once i get it in writing from the OT, i think the council will have to act.

Good luck!

Loulou xx

When the lease was due to expire on our privately rented (teeny) cottage, I got letters from my son's consultant and mine stating the urgent need for a larger, permanent home for us because of my son's special needs.

This did the trick points-wise, and we were given a 4 bed housing association house.

Mind you, they left it until the last minute which was horrendous as we had about 4 weeks before we had to leave our houise, and the area is the roughest in our town (although the house is lovely).

We also rang every week to 'see how things were going'!

Good luck, I know how worrying housing problems can be :(

Bid :bat:

lou lou you saying your sons room is 7x9,my two daughters room is 6x7 so you can imagine how small that is.

Hi Clintess,

Gosh, that's REALLY small. It must be a nightmare :( . Kai's room has a great big airing cupboard in it, which makes it like a boiler room. I can't wait to get out of here (the area is rough too!).

Loulou xx

PS Just found this on a housing website, relating to room sizes:

But the floor area of a room also determines how many people can sleep in it:

* floor area 110 sq feet (10.2 sq metres approx) = 2 people

* floor area 90 - 109 sq ft (8.4 - 10.2 sq m approx) = 1.5 people

* floor area 70 - 89 sq ft (6.5 - 8.4 sq m approx) = 1 person

* floor area 50 - 69 sq ft (4.6 - 6.5 sq m approx) = 0.5 people

Edited by loulou

although ive max points ive been on the list now for nearly five years.they havent any suitable houses for me,the ones they have offered where to small and they have now discounted them as even being offered so im looking round in the private sector again(in private at more)

its looking more like thats what il be doing,meet a lovely landlord whom owes over 50 houses and is currentyly looking for a 4bed for me in the area i want to stay in as the two he showed me just wont big enough.so i have to call him in a month to see how he got on.i have two boys in the big room but no room for my other son who sleeps with me at mo cause of the room size and the way my ds2 is.its a nightmare.the girls room i have just enough room for bunkbeds and thats it.chest of draws wont fit or a decent size wardrobe.you literally open door and have about a foot to move about in. :(

ideally i would like to put ds2 in his own small room ,the girls in another and ds1 and ds3 in another room,even if i had a dining room i could make into a bedroom for me.i still need a big kitchen to put an seven seater table and chairs in.just a nightmare at mo that will only get worse as the kids grown unless i can find another house.