Sign in to follow this  
Saz

what should i do

Hi all.....I havent posted on here for a long time, i had wondered then if my son had Aspergers.

From being a baby he was obsessed with things, i couldnt get a huggies nappy near him, but he was perfectly happy in a pampers. He aquired a liking for thomas the tank engine, well it was a bit more than a liking, it was a full blown obsession. Everything had to be blue and the number 1 was also a big issue (if i didnt go to pump no 1 at the petrol station he would scream for an hour after). At the age of 2 he could spell and write all the names of the trains, it was then that i knew that something wasnt 'quite right'.

In the following years i spoke to my health visitor who put me in contact with the child development team, i explained all that was happening, the obessions, the violence against his siblings, his uncanny ability to do maths. Unfortunatley it fell on deaf ears and they said it was all part of 'growing up'. So i waited and watched as he has gone through school and after getting outstanding reports i decided it was time to approach his headteacher. I thought she would laugh me out the building, but suprisingly she knew what i was going to say.....'you think Ethan has aspergers dont you'. Of course i replied 'yes' and she then said 'well i think he has too'.

After that she asked if i was going to try and get a diagnosis and i didnt know what to do or how to do it, so at the time i said 'no'. I still dont know how to go about it.

So my question is, if anyone could answer is, can you apply for dla without a diagnosis. I have come to realise that he needs a lot of extra attention, day and night as his mind rarely turns off and he doesnt sleep to well if there is something on his mind.

Any help and advice would be gratfully recieved

Unlikley, Nathans bad VER bad. Always has been.

I sent in his frst DLA form before his formal diaognosis and was refused.

I sent it in exactly the same wording with the formal diaognosis two months later and he was awarded the higher rate for life. :blink:

The DSS still uses the medical model to allow access to DLA.

Sam has ADHD, Aspergers, Anxiety disorder and is gifted and talented in maths and science. Again the diaognosis opened the doors.

It might be worth asking your GP for another referral back to the CDC or child and family psychiatry.

Hi have you tryed going to your GP to get a referrel to a team of pyschologists? that is what we did and got refered to somewhere called the rosewood centre. Matthew was diagnosed within a few months. that was last september. he is 6 now and we applied for DLA, had to get the forms to them by May 4 and still waiting on a decision. they normally want a report from the school and the pyschologists so that can help in their desicion. can't believe we are still waiting. the pyschologist had alot to say as she has seen in him in action destroying the house! hopefully we will hear soon!

hello i phoned the hv she came and seen me and filled all the froums in for me she said she throught shewas shy and would out grow it well it only took a couple of months she was dx aspergers 3 months ago they said she ticked all the boxs i was thinging cant you get a letter of the head teacher as well to show that someone else thinks the same as you it help me becouse when i use to say to the docter that ther was something wrong they would say girlsare diffrent to boys and i put it down to that becouse i got 4 boys and they say girls are diffrent untill she sart school she just cryed hid in the toilet and wont come out wont play wilth the other children so got me thinking than the teacher said something not right so she wrote a school report and i showed this to my hv and that helped me becouse i know something wasnt right so maybe this will help you all the best jill a mother knows theryer child