Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

What does she mean?

Went to a school that we are hoping M will go to in Sep.

I have been ringing them a few times and asking them do they have room and they have been fobbing me off.

SEN dept at LEA have asked me to make my mind up this week about M,s school in Sep so they can start liasing with the Head Teacher about his reintegration which is being done very gently.

So, i went in to the office and the receptionist tried to fob me off, but then the Head Teacher walked in.

She said "Its not just a straightforward transfer from one school to another, he,s been out of school since last Nov, We would need to check on things like a statement and what help he needs, so i said that he doesnt have one yet but that we are going to tribunal in Sep and that he is at school action plus stage, she said "well that just means that outside agencies are involved."

"I need to speak to XXX at LEA to liase with her and perhaps you could liase with her yourself, there are other children wanting a place too but, its looking hopeful but im leaving this week and a new Head is starting so she would want to liase with you and SEN.

Right, now im really really confused, i think ive mentioned before but i have AS and i dont always understand what they are saying, is she saying that M would be refused a place because he doesnt have a statement or do you think she,s fobbing me off because she,s leaving at the end of the week and also why does she have to check with SEN dept, why isnt what i say good enough?

SEN dept were not happy on Thursday when we said we didnt want M to go to brand new school as it is 3 schools going into one and all you parents of ASD kids can just imagine what that would be like for M, he couldnt cope with the old school which was a lot smaller so how is he going to cope with this one, SEN were saying "But its a brand new start etc etc" but our psych was saying "Its up to M,s parents which school he goes too and their choice is paramount"

Parent Partnership agree that we should be able to choose what school we want M to go to and i dont want him to go to the all singing all dancing 3 times as big new school.

Thanks for reading all that!!!

Jenrose Is the school you were in today the one you want your child to go to instead of the one that is the result of the three joining together ?If it is then that is the one you need to tell the LEA you want your child to go to.Once you name the school the LEA will talk to the school and decide if it is appropriate and if the school can provide for his/her needs.Unless I am missing something I am not sure the HT is fobbing you off -she is just explaining that it is not as straightforward as having a place.Again unless I am wrong-if you name the school you want the LEA should do the communication with the school on your behalf.In theory the LEA could advocate on your behalf to obtain a place for your child ahead of others on the list if you had a good case due to your child's identified SEN.That is how it works when a draft statement is issued and parents are asked to name the school.If it is different in this case I hope someone will correct me shortly.Karen

Thanks for that Karen, we dont have a statement for M though, would it still work in this case?

The SEN lady told me to let her know this week of our preferred choice so she can start liasing with the Head, is this what she means?

Thanks

Karen is right. To name the school in a statement the school have to agree to him going there. That is why the current head said talk to the LEA SEN dept. The prspective school and the LEA then make the necessary arrangements to take him - providing the school agree. Your next move is to tell the LEA the name of this school if it is the one you want and they then take over. Because of your own AS someone should be advising you through this procedure (parent partnership are the people who should do this).

Hope that helps.

thanks phasmid and karen, i got a message this afternoon on my answering machine from parent partnership asking did i want any help re changing M,s school so i will be ringing them first thing tomorrow.

I am not sure how your LEA work hun but in mine if your child does not have a statement then basically the parents and the child have no say or rights as such.

The child is treated exactly the same as the NT children and only offered a place at the nearest school with a place (even if parent has not listed it as a preference and has the backing of a SENCO and ASD outreach team.

I really hope you are able to get your child into the school you want and that the reintergration goes smoothly. xx