Stephanie

Single Vaccine

Ok I have found a Doctor who will do a single measles jab for my 19 month old.

I have an appointment for the end of the month.

What should/shouldn't I be looking for???

Should I write down the name of the vaccine, ask to see the vial, ask about mercury etc etc?

I just want to make sure he gets the right vaccination, I have heard some docs just slip them the MMR anyway and that terrifies me.

I am leaving the mumps and rubella jabs for now.

Hi Stephanie, my son had single vacs from Direct Health 2000(have seen them mentioned before on this forum so hope im not breaking the rules) they sent a booklet about the vacs very detailed, they put a seperate page in his red book (yours maybe a different colour) and explained in detail what they were using and we had to check contents and dates, then they asked to wait in carpark for ten -fifteen mins in case of a reaction from jab, never been told that at our GPs!

Perhaps you could ring where you are going and ask for more details then you could do some research on internet. All the best. PC

We also went through Direct Health and were asked to check the vial. Weren't asked to wait in the car park though.

They also filled the yellow book in with the details.

It's still scary though having to put this trust in strangers (even though you check as much as possible) but my ds#2 was fine.

DS3 had all his MMR jabs separately. The nurse was brilliant, she checked everything with me and even when my eyes started to glaze over she brought my attention back to what she was showing me, wrote everything down, gave me the leaflet produced by the vaccine manufacturer...

It costs a fortune, but for peace of mind it's well worth it.

If the doc/nurse doesn't share as much information with you as possible, then you may have cause for concern. Ask as many questions as you want, any health professional worth their salt should want to make you feel at ease about what they are doing.

I was so impressed with how they handled DS3 that I talk DS2 back to test whether his MMR had worked. The mumps hadn't, so he was given that separately instead of the pre-school booster. Poor old DS1 had to put up with the MMR and the MMR booster - I wasn't so clued up back then! Having said that, I don't think that the MMR 'affected' my two, but once I knew they had ASDs I wasn't going to take any chances with DS3.

Hope it goes well

Lizzie

You should be able to read the manufactures leaflet and ask any questions prior to the following.

The vial should be checked by the doctor/nurse and client prior to the injection being drawn up infront of you.

You must always wait for 10 minutes just in case of any reaction.

Jen

You should be able to read the manufactures leaflet and ask any questions prior to the following.

The vial should be checked by the doctor/nurse and client prior to the injection being drawn up infront of you.

You must always wait for 10 minutes just in case of any reaction.

Jen