smiley

Sensory problems

Hi all >:D<<'>

I've been thinking about this for a while - i'm hoping someone can give me some advice...

M has huge problems with light, noise, touch, etc...etc....

He cannot cope with busy areas and becomes easily overloaded, it all becomes too much for him and he needs me to take him away and hug him tightly until he's composed himself. It's becoming a real problem. I'm having trouble describing how he reacts...... hoping i'm making some sense! I don't want to keep him away from everything that may overload him (although, obviously i would avoid somewhere really chaotic) - and he wants to be out and about, he wants to be able to manage this... :( I don't know how else to support him.

He's had an OT assessment - they listed a lot of 'areas of concern' - then told us they had no money to give him any therapy :angry:

I'm not sure how to help him - other than do what i'm doing. But i'm also becoming aware that he's a tall 7 years old - and it's becoming difficult to physically 'manage' (sorry.... can't think of the right word) him - how will we manage when he's older and i can't physically do what i'm doing now???

Blimey - sorry for the moan - not a great day :(

Parenting...... fun, eh.... off to smack head repeatedly against a brick wall... :wallbash::tearful:

send me your email address and will send info

Hi all >:D<<'>

I've been thinking about this for a while - i'm hoping someone can give me some advice...

M has huge problems with light, noise, touch, etc...etc....

He cannot cope with busy areas and becomes easily overloaded, it all becomes too much for him and he needs me to take him away and hug him tightly until he's composed himself. It's becoming a real problem. I'm having trouble describing how he reacts...... hoping i'm making some sense! I don't want to keep him away from everything that may overload him (although, obviously i would avoid somewhere really chaotic) - and he wants to be out and about, he wants to be able to manage this... :( I don't know how else to support him.

He's had an OT assessment - they listed a lot of 'areas of concern' - then told us they had no money to give him any therapy :angry:

I'm not sure how to help him - other than do what i'm doing. But i'm also becoming aware that he's a tall 7 years old - and it's becoming difficult to physically 'manage' (sorry.... can't think of the right word) him - how will we manage when he's older and i can't physically do what i'm doing now???

Blimey - sorry for the moan - not a great day :(

Parenting...... fun, eh.... off to smack head repeatedly against a brick wall... :wallbash::tearful:

You child sounds similiar to mine. The best thing I have ever done is arrange weekly sessions with a sensory OT. The problem is there are not many (if any) of them available on the NHS. If you are lucky your trust will pay for sessions with a private OT. She does a detailed assessment makes recommendations for the school. Helps with writing tools etc.

The other thing I have done is got coloured lenses for my son. The problem with these is the child can get called names and than feels uncomfortable wearing the glasses.

Having the OT assesssment ensured we had a written assessment diagnosis and recommendations in a report. We than used this information in our statement. Because our child gets sensory overloaded easily he needs times when he needs a break from the classroom. This ensured we got a full time LSA on his statement.

Jen

Hi Smileymab,

A has HUGE sensory problems and the only way that we have found to cope is to avoid the triggers, particularly when already stressed or anxious. Unfortunately, this does mean that he doesn't have much of a life and our LEA have agreed to home educate him based on the medical reports of his sensory difficulties. Sensory integration therapy might help, but the evidence isn't conclusive either way, hence most trust's reluctance to pay, however, if the difficulties are severe enough and the Paediatrician backs the request they just might. A's paediatrician has just made a request to our trust for funding for private OT because A's sensory problems mean that he's shutting down in the bath and shower, so on danger grounds they need to find a solution, particularly as now he's 15 he doesn't want mum or dad supervising him.

The coloured lenses are another area I'm interested in, but I know currently A couldn't cope with the sensory pressure of wearing the glasses and task lighting would be of limited benefit.

Good luck with finding a solution. Keep us informed.

Hi

Giving you an appointment with an OT then telling you there's no money to help isn't good enough. In my experience so far, those who shout the loudest tend to get. Dig your heels in and insist you get help for your son. Your son's issues aren't going to go away and you have to be strong and fight on his behalf. It's hard because I know what it's like having to cope on a day to day basic without the added hassle of battling to get referrals/help. But, write letters, phone, do whatever it takes and I'm sure you'll ge there. In the meantime, I bought a good book which gave me more of an insight into sensory issues by Carol Stock Karnowitz called 'The Out-of-Sync Child". I've also got a stack of notes from an OT which I'd be happy to photocopy for you if like (just PM me).

One thing that strikes me is that you're son is doing fantastic by recognising that he's unable to cope and asking you to get him out of that situation until he composes himself. He's a real star. At the moment, my son shouts, screams, throws things, you name it, and it's a case of guesswork, so that gives mea glimmer of hope that when he's older he may do the same (he's 4.5 now).

Best wishes

Caroline.

Smiley

If you get a statement, then it is important that the OT observations are recorded as needs at Part 2 and that the therapies suggested are at part 3. Do not let it get relegated or it will not be the responsibilty of the LA.

If it is shown on the statment as a need and there is the detail of the therapy - i.e. therapy x how long for x how often x by whom, then there is the statutory duty to make that provision.

Hope you are well

The Alder Hills Gang are fab at the moment - we are running a holiday club for the kids and they are having such a great time and it is helping the parents as well.

Love from the Alder HillBillies

Unfortunatley OT were no help at all for us, as they truely didn't understand what sensory issues were.

But I have had real results from taking my son to a cranial osteopath this year. For example a couple of days after his first treatment he allowed us to cut his hair with clippers, without much fuss. Usually it is hell.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Thank you all for your replies

I'm still in contact with M's OT (silly woman gave me her number... :devil: ) so i'll try to 'lean' on her a bit more for some help. Just don't know where to start.. :(

>:D<<'>