Sign in to follow this  
LizK

Mixing up boys and girls

Anyone else had this?

My nearly five year old struggles to tell the difference. He's often mixing up his pronouns using he for she, his for her. When theST does work to help this he melts down or gets very silly his usual 'I don't understand' behaviou :wacko: . I was asking him yesterday whether various children in his classs were boys or girls and I realised that a lot of the time he struggles to tell the difference and says boy by default so no wonder he doesn't get he/she. Mentioned it to his ST and she said I need to teach him how to recognise a boy and girl and gave me some fun suggestions.

It has made me wonder whether he has face blindness although he is showing no other signs of it though not sure how obvious it would be at the age of four :unsure: ?

Lx

Hiya,

My son still does this - he's 7 - most of his classmates are either 'him' or 'that one' :blink: - regardless of sex. ST has worked on this with him - and we've had some very funny games at home! :D But, it's something he still struggles with - we are in the process of seeing if he has prosopagnosia, as he struggles if anyone changes haircut etc.. (he doesn't recognise me if i put my hair up :( ) - useful link that might be of interest......

http://www.prosopagnosia.com/

Hope it helps >:D<<'>

I work with a 7 year old boy with the same problem but it sems to be a language difficulty with him rather than recognition. He also struggles with friend/brother.

I've used a lot of photo cards with him and he is imporving but really needs to slow down and think about it otherwise everyone is he or his brother

Happens with my ASD DS (7) a lot, but my NT DS (5 1/2) can be worse. Everyones him! Teenage girls hate it. Just got a few books for him with boys and girls in to try and work on it some more over the summer.

Edited by lil_me

Yes, L (17) who sufferes from severe face blindness, has mentioned that she finds it difficult to tell the genders apart.

K x

Anyone else had this?

My nearly five year old struggles to tell the difference. He's often mixing up his pronouns using he for she, his for her. When theST does work to help this he melts down or gets very silly his usual 'I don't understand' behaviou :wacko: . I was asking him yesterday whether various children in his classs were boys or girls and I realised that a lot of the time he struggles to tell the difference and says boy by default so no wonder he doesn't get he/she. Mentioned it to his ST and she said I need to teach him how to recognise a boy and girl and gave me some fun suggestions.

It has made me wonder whether he has face blindness although he is showing no other signs of it though not sure how obvious it would be at the age of four :unsure: ?

Lx

I always remember once when I asked my son (then 7 or 8) about who was sitting with him at a table and did he know the name of the person or not. He didn't, so I asked if they were a boy or a girl and his reply was 'IT was wearing trousers'!! :blink: I think the reason he didn't know was that he wasn't looking up at peoples' faces at all so couldn't identify them. Another time when we met someone in the street and she spoke to my son, although my son didn't look at her once, he knew who it was. I asked how he knew it was this person and he said he knew the voice. Maybe your son isn't actually looking up at the faces of his classmates either.

~ Mel ~