LizK

The Out of Sync Child

This is a fantastic book not to be missed. I liked it because it talked alot about sensitivites with children with ASD, dyslexia, dyspraxia etc. It gives you clear descriptions of children and is easy to read.

Jen

Excellent book - I used this in the second year of my degree to help my son with some of his problems ... there's a follow up - The Out of Synch Child Has Fun - full of activities.

It's very American and some of the activities don't translate too well but I have found it useful.

I have read both books and they are definatley worth a read. My son has sensory integration dysfunction alongside his AS (as so many of our kids do) and when his OT suggested i read them i bought them from amazon at a good price and it made everything a lot easier to understand.

There is another book which is useful called Answers to Questions Teachers Ask about Sensory Integration: Forms, Checklists, and Practical Tools for Teachers and Parents (Paperback)

by Carol Stock Kranowitz and there is anther one called something like the good enough get in sync.

Jen

We were also recommended this book by the OT, and it's what started us on our path of illumination, for want of a better phrase!

The book is very readable, with lots of checklists. As I was reading it with DS1 in mind, I realised that DS2 was checking off a lot more things. He had a different OT who had already discharged him, but after reading this book I urged him to look again and the result was a dx of severe Sensory Integration Dysfunction.

From there I went on to read more and eventually raised the possibility of DS2 being on the autistic spectrum. Not at all, was the answer. A year later he was dx ASD also. THEN we realised that DS1 shared many of DS2's autistic nature; another year on and he had a dx of AS.

So yes, this book is well worth a read. The second one is also really useful - probably far more games and exercises than you'll ever use, but it's great to dip into and get ideas. It's not specifically about autism, but obviously there is overlap.