Sign in to follow this  
dooday24

DRIBBLING

A WEIRED QUESTION BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSES CHILDREN DRIBBLE ALOT? REECE IS DRIBBLING CONSTANTLY AND IS ALWAYS SOAKED AND ITS GOT EVEN WORSE SINCE HE LOST HIS BOTTOM TOOTH

Logan does constantly - his clothes, and usually mine are always soaked. Apparently its a sensory thing. My SALT told me that things like starburst etc that cause your mouth to water can encourage him to learn when he needs to swallow.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...8&hl=saliva

Should hopefully be a link to my post about it.

Lynne x

DS2 was born with a tongue tie. The paed said this would cause him no problems; but as I was breast feeding and a tongue tie makes this almost impossible, he had an operation to 'snip' the frenulum (the stretchy bit of skin under the tongue) to release the tongue.

As it happens he had a significant language delay and didn't talk until he was 3 or 4. Our CAMHS consultant told me it was just as well that we'd had the tongue tie corrected because he would have had speech problems as well as language delay and would have dribbled.

Does Reece have a tongue tie? Quite often they go unidentified because there are different levels but if he can't stick his tongue out beyond his bottom lip he probably has a tongue tie which certainly causes dribbling.

Flo'

DS2 was born with a tongue tie. The paed said this would cause him no problems; but as I was breast feeding and a tongue tie makes this almost impossible, he had an operation to 'snip' the frenulum (the stretchy bit of skin under the tongue) to release the tongue.

As it happens he had a significant language delay and didn't talk until he was 3 or 4. Our CAMHS consultant told me it was just as well that we'd had the tongue tie corrected because he would have had speech problems as well as language delay and would have dribbled.

Does Reece have a tongue tie? Quite often they go unidentified because there are different levels but if he can't stick his tongue out beyond his bottom lip he probably has a tongue tie which certainly causes dribbling.

Flo'

Flora

Logan has tongue tie but we were always told it would cause him no problems - d'you think it would be worth seeing about it?

Lynne

Flora

Logan has tongue tie but we were always told it would cause him no problems - d'you think it would be worth seeing about it?

Lynne

Lynne, personally, I think all tongue ties should be snipped at birth (they do this in the states). When I was looking for a surgeon to perform the operation (which takes about 2 minutes!) I had to seek the help of a paediatrician who was pro-breast feeding. She eventually talked a surgeon into doing the procedure, but without her help I doubt we would have found one. The first surgeon I went to see sent me away with a flee in my ear... I was in tears because I was so keen to breast feed and it just wasn't going to work without this operation (a baby has to be able to put their tongue over their bottom lip to breast feed successfully to produce enough milk).

You could do a bit of research in your area. It depends how strongly you feel about it. My son's tongue tie was quite severe, he couldn't move his tongue at all; some of them aren't so bad, it depends how short the frenulum is.

Hope this helps.

Flo' :D

MY NT 5 year old is still a bad dribbler. ASD son was about 6 when he stopped but has his moments. I know kids 13/14 on the spectrum who dribble loads still.

i swear if you put a bit of guttering and a water butt under trickys chin it would probably put a halt to the water shortage!! :lol::lol: